Chapter 11 - Beyond the Forks Forest: Irissa Discovers Tuscany

Bella's POV

The aroma of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies wafted through the house, a scent that usually brought a smile to my face. But tonight, it only served to highlight the knot of worry tightening in my stomach. Irissa sat at the kitchen table, a travel brochure fanned out before her, her brow furrowed in concentration. Edward sat beside her, patiently explaining the intricacies of currency exchange.

"So, one euro is about one point twenty US dollars?" Irissa scribbled something in her notebook.

"That's right," Edward confirmed, his voice laced with amusement. "Though, hopefully, you won't need to worry about that too much."

Irissa's head snapped up, her eyes sparkling with a mixture of excitement and trepidation. "That reminds me! Mom, Dad, can I please go on the field trip to Italy?"

A pang of apprehension shot through me. Italy. The very word sent shivers down my spine. The memory of the Volturi, those merciless guardians of the vampire world, was a scar etched deep in my soul. The thought of Irissa, with her sparkling human blood, venturing into their territory...

"Italy?" Edward echoed my thoughts, his expression guarded.

"Yes! We're going to Montepulciano," Irissa continued, oblivious to our unease. "It's this beautiful town in Tuscany, and Ms. Cope says there'll be tours of vineyards and art museums, and even a cooking class!"

The brochure depicted rolling green hills dotted with terracotta-roofed houses, bathed in the warm glow of the setting sun. It looked idyllic, a scene straight out of a fairytale. But for me, it was a picture marred by the ever-present shadow of danger.

"Honey," I began, my voice cautious, "Italy's a long way away. And..." I hesitated, searching for the right words.

"And what, Mom?" Irissa's lower lip trembled slightly.

"There are... certain... complications," I finally managed.

"Complications?" Irissa's brow furrowed. "Like what?"

Edward placed a hand on my shoulder, his touch a silent reassurance. "We just want to make sure it's safe for you, sweetheart," he explained gently.

"But it's a school trip!" Irissa protested. "Everyone's going, even Harper Stanley."

The mention of Harper, Forks' resident mean girl, did little to quell my anxieties. The last thing I wanted was Irissa, with her sheltered life, thrown into the company of someone like Harper on a foreign adventure.

Just then, the doorbell chimed. Relief washed over me as I recognized Ashlynn's familiar ring. Maybe a fresh perspective would help.

"Aunt Ashlynn!" Irissa called out, leaping from her chair.

Ashlynn swept into the kitchen, a whirlwind of energy and excitement. "Well, hello there, you beautiful people! What's all this talk about Italy?"

Irissa launched into an enthusiastic explanation of the field trip, waving the brochure in Ashlynn's face. As I listened, a thought struck me. Perhaps there was a way for Irissa to go, after all.

"Ashlynn," I began tentatively, "do you remember how Sky and Jackson were talking about wanting to visit Italy again sometime?"

Ashlynn's eyes widened in understanding. "You're thinking..."

"Exactly," I finished, a flicker of hope igniting in my chest. Sky, Irissa's other father, and Ashlynn's older brother, Jackson, were two men who spent most of their time traveling the world. They were also fiercely protective of Irissa.

"That's a brilliant idea, Bella!" Ashlynn exclaimed. "Sky and Jackson would love an excuse to visit Italy again, and having Irissa along would be the perfect cover."