Chapter 14 - The Prom Conversation

Bella's POV

The slam of the front door startled me from my book. I looked up to see Amber storm in, a tempestuous cloud of teenage frustration. Her backpack thumped to the floor, papers scattering like startled birds.

"Mom!" she exploded, throwing her hands up in the air.

"Hey, hey," I soothed, setting my book down. "What's going on?"

Amber stalked to the kitchen island, snatching a flyer from the mess on the floor. "Prom!" she announced, shoving it towards me.

My stomach clenched. Prom. That time of year again. A flurry of emotions washed over me – nostalgia for my own prom, a twinge of worry for Amber, and a flicker of something else, something darker, that I pushed down.

"Oh, wow," I forced a smile, smoothing out the flyer. Pink and glittery, it declared " Fork's High School's Enchanted Night" in a swirly font. "This looks lovely, honey."

"Lovely?" Amber scoffed. "It's just prom, Mom. Like any other high school dance."

I picked up another flyer from the pile. This one was simpler, printed on plain white paper with the words "La Push High: Celebrating Our Traditions." Below it was a hand-drawn image of a dreamcatcher.

"Is there another prom?"

Amber crossed her arms, a stubborn set to her jaw. "Tristan's prom," she muttered.

My heart sank. La Push High. The reservation. The werewolves.

"Honey," I started, choosing my words carefully, "Maybe you could just go to your own prom?"

Amber's eyes narrowed. "Why can't I go to both? They're on the same night."

I held her gaze, the memories threatening to surface. Memories of a night not unlike this, filled with arguments and unspoken fear.

"It's a long drive, Amber," I said, trying to keep my voice calm. "And La Push isn't exactly known for its..." I trailed off, searching for the right word that wouldn't sound prejudiced.

"Safety protocols?" Amber finished sarcastically. "Mom, you're being ridiculous."

"Ridiculous?" I couldn't help but raise my voice. "Have you forgotten what happened the last time there was trouble on the reservation?"

Amber flinched, a flicker of hurt crossing her face. She knew exactly what I was referring to, the near-tragic event that almost claimed her father's life.

"That was years ago," she said, her voice quieter now. "Things are different now."

"Are they?" I countered, my voice softer. "There's a reason Tristan's prom is on the same night as ours. It's a way to keep things separate."

"Separate?" Amber bristled. "Why do we need to be separate? It's just a prom, Mom!"

"It's not just a prom, Amber," I sighed, the truth spilling out. "La Push is..." I hesitated, the weight of the word threatening to choke me. "Dangerous."

"Dangerous?!" Amber's voice rose again. "Because of what? Because some of them are..." she trailed off, her voice dropping to a whisper. "Different?"

I felt a tear prick my eye. Different. It was such a simple word, but it carried so much weight. The weight of a secret I'd kept for so long, the secret of the shadows that lurked on the reservation.

"It's not that simple, honey," I whispered, reaching out to touch her hand. She pulled away, her gaze hardening.

"You're just trying to control me," she accused. "You don't want me to go to prom with Tristan."