Chapter 36 - Rainbow Hearts and Conversations

Jaxton's POV

The rain lashed against my window, mirroring the storm brewing inside me. I wasn't sure how to approach this, and the pit in my stomach churned with every passing second. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore.

"Aunt Ashlynn?" I called from the doorway of her art studio.

She looked up from her canvas, a splash of vibrant purple staining her cheek. A smile, as warm as the fire crackling in the hearth, bloomed on her face. "Jax! Come in, come in. What brings you here on this gloomy night?"

Hesitantly, I shuffled in, the floorboards groaning under my weight. Perching on the edge of the worn armchair, I kicked my feet back and forth, a nervous habit I thought I'd outgrown.

"Is something wrong, honey?" Her smile softened with concern.

"Maybe," I mumbled, avoiding her gaze.

"Maybe?" she echoed, amusement dancing in her eyes. "That doesn't sound very decisive, young man."

I sighed, the sound heavy in the quiet room. "There's something I, uh, need to talk about."

"Well, whatever it is," she said, setting down her paintbrush and walking towards me, "you know you can talk to me, right?"

I nodded, but the words still stuck in my throat. How did you even begin to explain something this confusing, this... uncertain?

"Is it about school? Or maybe a girl... or boy?" she prodded gently.

The word "boy" hung in the air, heavy with implication. I winced, the pit in my stomach deepening.

"Actually," I mumbled, finally meeting her eyes, "it's about... relationships."

"Ah," she said knowingly, a hint of a smile playing on her lips. "First heartbreak, huh?"

"No," I denied quickly, a touch too forcefully. "It's not that."

She raised an eyebrow, skepticism etched on her face. I could practically hear the unspoken question hanging in the air: 'Then what is it?'

Taking a deep breath, I blurted, "What if... what if you're not attracted to girls?"

The question hung heavy in the air, and for a moment, the only sound was the drumming of the rain on the roof.

Ashlynn's smile faltered slightly, replaced by a thoughtful expression. Then, she sat down next to me, her hand resting gently on mine. "That's a very mature question to ask, Jax," she said softly.

"It's just... confusing," I admitted, my voice barely above a whisper. "Everyone talks about finding a girlfriend, but..." I trailed off, unable to articulate the jumble of emotions swirling inside me.

"But what, honey?" she prompted gently.

"But what if I don't feel that way? What if I... what if I look at guys differently?"

The words tumbled out in a rush, a torrent of self-doubt and confusion.

Ashlynn squeezed my hand. "Hey," she said softly, "it's okay. It's okay to be unsure. It's okay to be different."

Relief washed over me, a wave calming the storm within. Just knowing it wasn't wrong, that it was okay to feel this way, was a weight lifted from my shoulders.

"But what do I do?" I asked, the question laced with a newfound vulnerability.

"Well," she said, a thoughtful look on her face, "have you talked to Uncle Shane about it?"

My breath hitched. Uncle Shane. The thought of talking to him, of him knowing, sent a jolt of nervous energy through me.

"Uncle Shane?" I stammered, surprised by the suggestion.