Chapter 26 - The Strength of Family: A Scattered Clan, But An Unbreakable Bond

Bella's POV

The scent of honeysuckle and saltwater hung thick in the humid La Push air as I pulled my Ford 29 Passenger Shuttle Bus into Billy Black's driveway. Fourteen weary sets of eyes looked out the windows. Jaxton, Jeremy, and Jason, the ever-identical triplets, sported identical scowls. At sixteen, they were already towering figures, their broad shoulders straining against their t-shirts.

"Alright, Jaxton, Jeremy, Jason and Dakota you four will be staying at Uncle Billy's, now hop out and grab your bags and please help your sister." I said with a strained smile, the rearview mirror reflecting my own exhaustion. Three months. Three whole months crammed into Billy's cozy bungalow with their gruff, kind-hearted surrogate uncle. The aftermath of the ice prank ended with our old house a blaze that had been devastating, forcing the entire Cullen-Sloane family into a temporary housing shuffle.

Pushing open the car door, I was met with a warm hug from Billy as he rolled out of the house in his wheelchair. "Welcome back, Bella. Looks like you brought the whole pack with you." His smile softened as he saw all the glum faces in the backseat.

Dakota, my twelve-year-old daughter, was the first to clamber out, a hesitant smile lighting up her face as she spotted a familiar figure across the yard. "Uncle Jacob!" she called, racing towards the tall, lanky figure leaning against a beat-up pick-up truck.

Jacob grinned, ruffling her hair. "Hey, Dakota. Ready to be the coolest girl in La Push?" He caught my eye and winked. "Don't worry, Bella. We'll take good care of them."

Behind him, Sam Uley, the stoic alpha of the La Push pack, offered a curt nod. "Welcome to La Push, Cullen's." He looked pointedly at the triplets, his eyebrows raised.

I offered a shaky smile. "Thanks, Sam. I appreciate this. You know it's just temporary, right?"

"Three months," Sam rumbled. "Long enough for them to learn some pack discipline." A flicker of amusement crossed his features. He knew the triplets' reputation all too well.

As the three boys hauled their duffle bags from the car, their scowls deepened. Jeremy, the ever-quiet one, muttered, "This is gonna suck."

Jaxton, the stoic leader, merely grunted in agreement.

Jason, the jokester, nudged Jeremy with his elbow. "At least there's cliff diving."

I sighed. Teenagers with werewolf hormones. It was a potent combination. Glancing back at the house, I spotted Edward emerging from behind Billy. His golden eyes softened as he met her gaze, a silent reassurance in their depths. Three months apart while their new house was being built. It felt like an eternity.

Jacob, ever the charmer, slung an arm around my shoulders. "Don't worry, Bells. We'll keep them in line. Besides, school starts on Monday. They won't have much time for mischief."

I grimaced slightly. "School. Right. Where will they even be going?"

Sam stepped in. "They'll be going to their usual schools on the reservation. Jacob or I will drive them back and forth. Don't worry, they'll be safe." His gaze flickered to the triplets, then back to Bella. "As safe as they can be."

A collective groan erupted from the boys. School, on top of being stuck in La Push? This was shaping up to be a truly dreadful three months.

Inside Billy's house, a jumble of furniture and boxes made navigating difficult. I caught a glimpse of Leah Clearwater, my step-sister, setting up an air mattress for Dakota. I sighed softly relieved Dakota wasn't going to be the only girl there. Leah winked. "Don't worry, Bella. We'll keep her out of trouble. Mostly."

As the day wore on, a chaotic sense of normalcy settled in. Boxes were unpacked, furniture was rearranged, and the smell of Billy's famous salmon stew filled the air. Watching her children mingle with the pack - albeit not exactly happily - a wave of bittersweet emotion washed over me.