#8 Valentines, Wallah (III)

"Tanvi!"

Samrat's jeep stops next to Tanvi as she hurries along the deserted road that leads to the officer's residences.

The gated community lies at least two kilometres from the base. She thought she'd walk as fast as she can, but Samrat has come after her. He's also seen through her lie.

"Tanvi, tum desert ke route par aise kapde pehan kar walk karogi? Main tumhe drop kar deta hu. It's still within defence area but it's unsafe at night, yaar!"

 It's still within defence area but it's unsafe at night, yaar!"

Samrat points to her sequined maxi dress. She reluctantly, wordlessly, gets in his jeep. It's the two of them alone on the sunsaan road. She feels safe in his presence, but also vulnerable. Their ride begins, and there comes the question she expects. He asks,

"Tumne kyu jhoot bola ki Abhi, Sam ke sath ja rahi thi?"

"Woh... Just because I don't enjoy spending too much time at parties doesn't mean, main apne doston ko enjoy karne se rokoon."

"Uh huh. Aur Saumit ke saath tumhara dinner date?"

Tanvi hangs her head, unable to respond. It might be the nerves. She knits her hands together, squeezing them tightly. Suddenly, she can't breathe. Lying to someone dear to you isn't easy. She doesn't know how she did it until now. She's biting her lip, staring vacantly at the dirt road illuminated by the jeep's headlamps. Samrat untangles her fingers and takes one of her hands in his.

"Huh? Kya kar rahe ho?"

She looks at him, the sight of him manoeuvering the wheel with one hand bringing a slight smile to her face

"I'm trying to offer you some comfort, silly girl. Tum pareshan ho rahi thi, nahi?"

You read my mind again! Touched, she can only chuckle breathlessly. "Sam, you're always like this..."

"Like what?"

Samrat's eyes are focused on the road even as he enmeshes his fingers with hers. Her heart skips a beat.

"You're t-too kind..."