#19.1 Na tum jaano Na hum (I)

Another week passes quickly. Samrat, who has been busy assisting Harjot, enters the cafeteria late at night after his shift. He expects the cafeteria to be desolate. Farhan is running late and Tanvi won't be there to greet him. It's a complete surprise that when he walks further he finds her slouching over a table, fast asleep.

Samrat sighs

Samrat sighs. She never showed her face in the cafeteria over the past 2 weeks. Why did she come now? Maybe she came in, and they never ran into each other. Why is she fast asleep now; who sleeps in the cafeteria?

He walks closer and plops into the chair opposite her, completely expecting her to wake up and glare at him. But that doesn't happen. She's snoozing peacefully, head resting upon her elbow. Hearing her soft breathing makes him sigh.

"If I continue to linger here, she'd definitely glare at me when she wakes up... Perhaps even chase me away. Yeh sach mei kahan aa gaye hum?"

His soft murmur reaches none. There's no sign of activity from the kitchen. Soft tunes are playing over the radio. Golden oldies. The hour is late. 2 am. Ramu Kaka must also be asleep in the back.

Samrat looks at Tanvi. "Tanvi, tumhe apne room mein jakar sona chahiye tha..."

He sighs again, eyes refocusing on her. She is still sleeping. Maybe she has been missing sleep, much like him? Normally, no matter the late hour, she would be here waiting for him and they would go home together. Now those things feel like distant memories.

Just then, Samrat hears footsteps and knows it is Farhan without looking back. Before Farhan can call out, Samrat turns to him and gestures to him to stay silent, pointing to Tanvi.

 Before Farhan can call out, Samrat turns to him and gestures to him to stay silent, pointing to Tanvi

Farhan nods, understanding the situation. He tiptoes to Samrat and takes the chair next to him. Seated, he heaves a small sigh. "Aaj ka shift kafi lamba chala, yaar. Yours is no different? Tanvi bhi ider hai... Tumne usey uthaya nahi? Main uthaun? Fir hum sab ghar chal sakte hain..."

Farhan keeps his tone whisper-soft and looks at Samrat. Samrat shakes his head.

"I don't know, Farhan. Main Tanvi ko uthaun, toh shayad she will get mad at me... And... Jahan tak sawal ghar jaane ka... Main yahan thodi der aur baithna chahta hoon... Tanvi ko dekhna chahta hoon... Dekh toh sakta hoon na? Itna karna allowed hai, nahi? Kitne din ho gaye... use dekhe bina..."