#18 Dosti ke Pal (I)

A few weeks after the "traitor" incident had been dealt with; Samrat was convinced to stay by everyone in his team Hawks, especially Tanvi, and the two of them were working together on a project that involved upgrading the radar systems over the desert borders.

Between moments of brief respite during everyday work, Tanvi observed Samrat was completely into his shell

Between moments of brief respite during everyday work, Tanvi observed Samrat was completely into his shell. Sure, they weren't the friendliest lot who chatted often, but the silence wasn't Samrat. He barely uttered a word over the past few weeks, only speaking when necessary. Plus, it was all business, and he'd wear this gloomy expression, tighten his jaw or space out at random times when work didn't demand his attention. Pity wasn't the emotion she felt, it could have been genuine concern. She acted overly cheerful around him, hoping that'd compensate for his lack of emotion. And hopefully, it would help him cope with whatever was bothering him. Alas, not that simple.

She heard the story from Abhimanyu. The baggage weighing on Samrat wasn't too light to cast aside. What a sad scenario; she never once imagined the chill dude Samrat Singh Shekhawat had another hidden side, an entirely different one.

That afternoon, they arrived in the cafeteria together for a quick break after their morning shift. Just a few minutes after which they'd drive with their seniors and other colleagues to check out the new radars.

Samrat stuck to a coffee as they sat at the table where Farhan and the other ex-Hawks members were present. Tanvi ordered herself her usual lunch.

"Lunch, Tanvi?" Samrat said, looking at her lunch tray laden with all kinds of delicacies — parathe, paneer-chhole, even dessert. "Panch minute mein tum yeh Sara lunch khaoge?"

Tanvi was delighted that he finally spoke of something that wasn't strictly business

Tanvi was delighted that he finally spoke of something that wasn't strictly business. He said her name as he would address a friend, not in that detached way he addressed her. And wow, that was an elaborate sentence coming from him. She had been looking the fool over the past few weeks, babbling everything and anything to him and trying to cheer him up. Did it work? Is this a teensy bit of hope? She smiled, shaking off her excitement.

"Samrat, panch minute hai na! Watch me!"

As Tanvi dug in, Samrat curiously looked at her, watching her scarf down everything. A question naturally popped into his head. "Tanvi, are you sure tumhe problem nahi hoga itni jaldi yeh sab khakar?"