The Wishes of One Who is Far Away

Young one, I see the past
From the skies do I relax
Time ticks away as I inch closer
Forever waiting to be your crown

I am golden, you are silver
As you mature I'm getting nearer
To see you grow, it feels too slow
Shall we be one set in stone?

I've done so much and waited so long
I saw what you've sown, so see that I am shown
Through the clay you mold with your calloused hands
Yet I remain gentle from the time that has passed

Little child, young lady
Whatever they call you, you are me
Shall I cherish you with a heart that awaits?
My wish is that my joy won't be too late

----------

This is a poem about the older self of a woman talking to the young girl she used to be. Our future depends on us, but what if it is also eagerly waiting to be fulfilled? As a young child, we'd all wonder about the future and we all have things that we wanted. When we grow up and look back, most would cringe or think nothing of it. As for me, I am proud of that child who dreamt of a future and had made significant decisions that would push me up to where I am now.

As the picture suggests (and which is for the story), she dwells in the further parts of time and looks at particular memories that move on and continue to live, slowly chasing towards her age. The younger version does not hear the future because it is living in the present, which is why the noticing of the child's was never mentioned.

*Meanings

[First stanza, last verse]
When the present selves we are today is actively doing something to achieve a greater cause, the person who we wanted to be is someone who we should be proud of. It is some who is more mature, patient, stronger, and braver than the past. We should be proud of who we have become and that comes with respecting ourselves by doing more to develop our nature. A crown is not to be treated as a play toy, so take your future seriously.

[Last stanza, last verse]
The joy the lady is talking about is the opportunities we are offered in life. Each decision we make affects who we will become in real life. The opportunity to become greater and stronger is always there until it is too late to take it, so don't be too short-sighted and have a keen eye for new open doors.

-----------