Chapter 12: The Gates of Guilt

warning! This chapter contains mentions of self harm and drugs

X was always supportive of me, helping me in all my lowest points. He was always smiling around me, being happy, but I saw past that. I could see that he missed Four. He would sleep with a pillow hugged tightly in his arms, I would notice that most of the food he cooked was some of Four's favorites, and X always seemed sad when I sat somewhere Four used to normally sit.

It made me feel horrible. I knew that if I had never gone to them for help, Four and X would still be happy together, and Four would be a good person. I don't know why I brought out the worst in him... X never said he was upset, but I knew.

One particular night, I thought about it all again, long and hard. I sat there on the couch, staring at my scarred knees. I deserved that. And I deserved so much more. I was unfairly spared by Four, when he could have killed me at any moment. I was the one that pushed him.. He wasn't a bad guy, he just never wanted anything to do with me.

I was pissed. Not at Four for hurting me, not at X for saving me, but at myself. Why didn't I stop when I should have? Thoughts ran through my mind, I had an itch beneath my skin, to make it worse. But it would be impolite to do that in someone else's house... plus, I still had an image to uphold!

I bit my lip, trying to distract myself from my thoughts as my fingers dug into the couch cushion. I had never gotten such a strong urge before, this was probably the second most scary moment of my life. I felt like I was shutting down, trying to keep my nails dug into something that wasn't my own skin.

I felt horrible, I felt guilty, I felt filthy, I felt disgraceful, I felt-

I felt my phone buzz.

That finally snapped me out of it as I looked down, my teeth letting go of my sore lip as I pick the phone up. I smile, seeing a message from Gaty. "Hey" She had sent. This would do for now.. We talked for a little bit before she finally dropped the question. "Wanna hang out?" "ofc!" Sweet, finally some plans. Maybe this would be a good distraction from everything.

We talked out a few details and I was going to go pick her up

We talked out a few details and I was going to go pick her up. I get in my car, driving to her place. As I knock on the door, it's opened and I look down with a smile, but her smile quickly fades as she looks intensely at my eyes. "Oh. Anyway- uh! I'm ready." She walked out, quickly brushing it off.

We went back to my car, and I was pretty comfortable with our silence before it got broken. "Oh, omg, did you hear that Four got arrested????" She turned to me. "Uh-... yeah!" I replied. "Apparently he had illegal drugs or something! I mean, I always knew he'd be the type but i never thought he'd get caught!" I glance at her, raising an eyebrow. I didn't want her to believe something that wasn't true, but I didn't want her to worry about me.

"Oh, uh- no, he didn't have drugs.." "oh." We sat silently for a few moments. "I wonder how X is doing without him.." "He's doing alright" She raised an eyebrow. "Oh, you still talk to X?" That confused me a little. I had been texting X even since before TPOT got cancelled... "yeah, why wouldn't I?" "I dunno, Four clearly didn't like you and he seems like the kinds guy to tell X to not talk to you.." "No, he- no.." 

Even with my eyes on the road, I could feel hers scanning me over. It made me a little uncomfortable, but I knew she was just curious.. "What happened to your knees?" She asked. I cringed a little, desperately wanting to avoid this conversation. "I- uh- I fell..." Shit. why did I make it sound so suspicious?

"Hm."