Ring's Memories Part 7

Twelve years had passed since Niflheim invaded and destroyed the Kingdom of Ilium. There was no further news of Queen Elicia nor her son Yozora arriving at the crown city Insomnia, this led King Regis to believe that both died in the invasion. However, Noctis thought differently than his father, he always believed that Yozora, his fiancé, was still alive. One day, the young prince was summoned by his father, he wanted to talk about an important matter.

King Regis waited for his son in the throne room, sitting on his throne with a worried look on his face. When Noctis appeared, he bowed to his father as a sign of respect.

"Father, you called me."

Regis lifted his gaze and looked at his son. "Yes, I need to ask something of you."

Noctis smiled, but not in a happy way. He already knew what his father would say next.

"I know what you're going to ask, father. But I'm not going to marry that Lunafreya girl."

The king sighed. "I know you're still upset about Yozora... But our country needs an heir. Lady Lunafreya is the daughter of one of our most trusted allies."

"And what about Yozora? He's my fiancé. If he's alive, we could bring him back and then..."

Regis interrupted his son, not wanting to hear it again. "We can't. We don't even know where he is... Noctis, I'm sorry. But Yozora is probably dead by now, we have to move on."

Noctis turned his back on him, he wanted to leave. He didn't like to talk about his fiancé's death, much less think about it.

"Please, Noctis. I know it hurts, but you have to listen to me. Just for this time."

The young prince stopped, but did not look at his father again. "You should have been the one to listen to me this whole time, but you didn't… you never did."

Regis tried to say something else, but Noctis left the throne room. He couldn't stay there any longer.

As soon as he walked away from the throne room, Noctis leaned against a wall and sat on the floor.

"Yozora... Where are you? Are you really dead?"

The prince put his hands on his face, he didn't want anyone to see him like that. Noctis just sat there and cried, all the memories with Yozora coming back to him. He could feel his heart aching, like it would break at any moment.

"Master Noctis! What are you doing here?"

Hearing a voice, Noctis looked up to see Ignis. Ignis Scientia was his advisor and best friend since they were little.

Noctis stood up. "Ignis, I..."

"I heard you didn't want to marry Lady Lunafreya."

Noctis looked down, not wanting to face Ignis right now.

"It's because of Yozora, right? That's why you didn't want to marry her."

Ignis knew that Noctis was suffering since the day of the invasion, the death of his fiancé was something the young prince could not forget.

"You don't have to worry about me, Ignis. I won't stop looking for clues about Zora, that's why making a proposal to father seems like the right thing to do."

Ignis just looked at him, he knew his friend too well to know that he wasn't feeling well. But Noctis wasn't going to tell him, so he decided to keep quiet about it.

"A proposal? What kind?"

Noctis looked at Ignis. "I will agree to travel to Altissia, on the trip I will gather information about what happened to Yozora, and if I am able to find important clues, then the marriage between Lunafreya and I will end."