Hangover headaches bring out the truth in me (22)

FOR THE second time, Aiden woke up to something that resembled a hangover headache, but for the first time, it was actually a hangover headache.

He clutched his head, sitting up. He closed his eyes in pain.

After taking a shower, he checked his phone. Aru had sent 'we need to talk so come here'

Aiden walked in, using the spare keys. He saw Aru typing on her computer and gods everything came back.

"Welcome. So about yesterday-"

"Health isn't big for you, is it?"

She narrowed her eyes at him. "What?"

"You were poisoned twice and you still go ahead and do all this," Aiden said sharply. "You could've gotten hurt again."

"You were there and you allowed me."

"I called for you, you know? You didn't respond," Aru scoffed when he ignored what she said and Aiden's mind throbbed. "I got worried."

"You shouldn't have gotten drunk, then."

"You told me to!"

"This is bullshit," Aru concluded. "We have more important things to talk about."

"And there you go again, avoiding the topic," Aiden said. "Don't you get it?"

Aru looked at him. "No?"

"Just stop putting yourself in danger," Aiden said, frustrated on having to explain this. "People care, you know, and they get worried!"

"Stop being my father, I don't need one!" She got up, standing to her full height. Which wasn't enough, since she was still shorter and she didn't look scary enough to scare him.

"I'm not trying to be your father!" Aiden's mind raced with things he didn't tell her. "I care about you because-"

He stopped short, and picked another topic he hadn't told her, something more relevant. "I interrogated the creep who took you that day. He had a pact with the Sleeper. Why?"

Aiden took a step closer. "Because he wanted Solis and Solis was your sister. Your father, the Sleeper, wanted to trade Solis for you. But he was never going to give Solis and take both of you; his daughters."

Aru's eyes were wide and she closed them. Then, in a much more measured, quiet and scarily calm voice she said, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"You were going to blame yourself and you weren't in the right mental space for that," Aiden looked down. "Sorry."

Her chest heaved with breaths and soon—Aiden recognised it anywhere—she was showing signs of a panic attack. He panicked too, because what was he supposed do now?

"So this is my fault?"

"No," Aiden replied, softly. "It isn't."

"Don't lie."

"You think I could lie to you?" Aiden took a step closer. "I could never."

It didn't matter. Tears streamed down her face quickly and her body shook. She turned away from him. "I'm so sorry."

She was going to leave the room but Aiden didn't know what to do, so he took Brynne's advice. Just keep loving her.

Aiden pulled her into a hug and did just that.

oh short chapters.

how was the chap?

-Loife xx