Epilogue

ONE YEAR LATER

"SHAH? COME down!" Rudy's voice yelled from downstairs.

"I am coming," Aru muttered to herself, putting aside the case and flicking Aiden on the back of the head. "Enough with that. Come down."

Aiden glared at her for a second then got up. "It was your idea to work on this case now."

"I am a hypocrite," Aru agreed, opening the door. "Are you coming?"

"Of course," He replies immediately, following her as she descended the stairs. Brynne popped out from the kitchen as they came down. "Shah? Oh good, come taste test."

"The case is great, thanks for asking," She replied smoothly, taking the sample bite of the cake that Brynne had given her. "Ooh!"

"It's good, right?" Hira emerged from the kitchen. "That's what I told her but she said I sugarcoat my words when it comes to her."

Aiden snickered as Aru blinked. "If that was a pun, that was horrible."

"That's exactly what she said, word for word," Brynne replied. "You both are horrible. Shah, criticise me."

"Uh," Aru said, looking at the cake and then at Brynne. "You missed...a singular grain...of salt."

"I knew it!" Brynne threw up her hands. Then she turned to Hira. "See!"

"Yes yes, my love," Hira rolled her eyes. "You are right."

Brynne and Hira had started dating, which resulted in a lot of finallys. They were cute but it was incredibly hard for all of them to not give Brynne relationship advice. Otherwise they would get slapped.

In two weeks time, Rudy and Mini were getting married. Aru had warmed up to the dude, but still had her knives ready if Mini were ever hurt. And Aru...

She had Aiden. Practical wife. So meh, who's really winning here?

Over the year, Lightning Smolder had gotten more and more popular and higher case-demand. She was no longer The Sherlock of the Era, but that was a title she was willing to give up if it meant she could work with Aiden. Which meant setting aside her pride. However, she didn't quite care.

"What do we do for your birthday?" Mini asked Aiden. It was November 6th, Aru realised, and his birthday was in three days. His birthday had been swept under the rug in the heat of the wedding, and Aru felt guilty.

"I mean. Anything planned?" He asked, looking at Aru but not looking at Aru. Aru grinned, "If you want, I could plan something right now."

"I didn't mean-"

"Get out, then," Brynne said, waving a chocolate covered spatula in his direction.

"Wait, I don't need anything."

"You are turning twenty-five," Aru said, thoughtfully. "That's kind of a big thing."

"I didn't-"

"Or would you like to plan it with us?" Mini butted in. Aiden hesitated for half a second and normal people wouldn't catch that. Aiden thought no one would catch that but he seemed to forget Aru was a detective.

"Saw that."

"Saw what?" Rudy asked, confused.

"Nothing!" Aiden answered. Aru shook her head. "If you want something, be open about it. Come here."

Aru got up and pushed Aiden into where she was previously sitting. Then, she grabbed a chair from the dining table and sat on it. The house Mini and Rudy bought was huge, and from then on, Aru realised he was a rich kid.

"Okay. So. You want it here or home?" Aru started off.

"Home," Aiden responded.

"Okay. Atlanta, by the way," Aru told them, answering all the confused faces.

"Big or small?" Mini asked. "Like, grand or not."

"Let's make it grand," Aru interrupted before Aiden could answer. "After all, someone made our entire celebration crowd sing happy birthday to me."

"You liked it!"

"And you'll like this."

Aiden grumbled and Aru smiled.

Soon, the group—The Potatoes—filed out. Aru and Aiden too, gathered up the things upstairs.

"This case is nothing," Aru told  Aiden.

Aiden picked up a fallen sheet. "Doesn't mean we shouldn't work hard on it."

"Fair."

"I mean, we've almost died never on this case. Remember the Syamantaka Case? That was a whole..."

"You almost died twice, I think. I beat your record!"

Aiden stayed quiet at that. "I don't think that's something to be proud of though."

"Sorry," Aru apologised, picking up another paper. "Well, if no one's on our side, we've got each other, and that's what I'm trying to tell you."

Aiden took her hand and kissed the back of it. "For the record, I'm always on your side, Shah."

Aru shoved him away but she was smiling. Aiden grinned. She rolled her eyes, "Stop. I just said something awesome."

"I did too."

"You did not."

Aru did feel internally happy, however. Her life was coming together. She had people who she could rely on. She had an awesome job, and even if it led her to almost die quite a few times, it didn't make her want the job less. She helped people by doing what she was good at. And Aru loved that.

A step at a time. That's what her mom always said. Just take one step at a time, and go slowly. Aru had frowned then, but she now understood. While the future may seem daunting, you won't even get to experience the joys of it without taking the first step. Without taking a chance. The future will come anyway, then you'll have to rush the steps.

Just one step at a time, and you'll be ready. Ready to take on what's ahead. Aru knew she wouldn't be taking it alone. They'd all take it together, ready for the future.

Hope, Aru realised, was the most precious thing they could have. It meant that even if things were horrible, they were far from over.

Hope for the future. And Aru smiled at it.

how was the chapter 😭✋

-Loife xx