A brighter future. I can hope for that. (30)

"THAT'S A lot," Hanuman remarked when they were done with explaining the case.

"That is," Aru agreed. She outstretched her arm, the golden file in hand.  "The file of my brainwashing, if you will. That could be a whole case on its own. The Syamantaka part, I mean."

Subala raised an eyebrow. "You want to take up that case? I will not allow it, of course. You both need your rest. No cases until July for you both."

"Don't worry," Aiden said. "She has no intent on that."

"I really don't," Aru agreed. "This was too much."

Urvashi nodded in agreement. "That is true. Also, in three days, you'll have your celebration ceremony."

"Three days?" Both detectives said in unison. Urvashi nodded. "On Aru's birthday. It'll be a celebration for her too."

They spoke about it for a bit before Hanuman finally said, "Any questions before we declare this case done?"

"Not a question. A suggestion, though," Aru spoke up. She felt everyone's eyes on her, especially Aiden's.

"Yes, Detective Foudre?"

Aru took a deep breath and grinned. "Let's get Detective Acharya an office."

Brynne snickered a bit, probably knowing he'd been jealous of her office. Mini smiled at Brynne's snickering and soon, everyone in the room was smiling. Aiden however muttered, "NOT funny, Shah."

"Yes, we will get him an office," Boo said.

"Then that's all, isn't it?" Aru replied. "It's done."

"It's done." The Council said in unison.

"It's done," Aiden whispered behind her. Aru felt the pressure and weight on her shoulders remove itself and take off. Take off where?

To a better future.

————

Three days later, Aru found herself in front of the mirror, looking awesome. She wore a black satin corset shirt with frilly half sleeves and a lustrous gold skirt that reached just above her knees. She wore gold hinted black, laced (bleh) heels that Nikita, the designer of the entire outfit, had forced her to to wear. There were tiny gold lighting bolts on it, though, which was a bonus point.

Krithika stood behind her. "The last time I saw you like this...my, you've grown. I just wish..."

Aru hugged her tightly. "You couldn't help it. Plus, you get to be there today!"

Krithika smiled. "Happy birthday, beta."

"Thanks mom. You know, I was gonna say 'same to you', so I haven't changed."

"You haven't," her mother agreed. "Now go."

The ceremony was grand. Aru saw Mini and Brynne first. Mini wore a dark purple shirt that had puffed up sleeves and ruffles at the chest. She wore white flannel pants with purple and black flats. Brynne was simpler. She wore a dark blue short suit with a white dress shirt under and black dress pants, paired with blue slippers.

"Happy birthday. You look great," Nikita said, appearing. She wore a sage green ball gown with dark green heels. Her hair was even more extravagant. "Since I made your outfit, of course. Sheela? Where are you?"

Sheela came into view with Hira. Sheela wore a pink one-piece dress and platformed shoes while Hira wore a long, white dress, cinched at the waist with baby blue heels. Sheela spoke first, "Hi, Aru. Great job on the case! Happy birthday!"

Hira hugged her, ignoring Nikita's protest. "You look so pretty! Congrats and happy birthday!"

"Thanks, guys. I couldn't have finished the case without you," Aru smiled at them. Then she turned to Brynne. "Look! I'm almost as tall as you."