Fine. I can play dumb, too. (23)

NEW YEAR was infinitely boring.

It was now January 3rd, 4:00 PM. Aiden was in the other room, talking to his mom, while she researched the case.

There were only things she looked at before, so Aru decided to look closer.

No luck.

Aru got up and put on a coat. Just then, Aiden stepped out of his room.

"Where are you going?"

"Getting a copy of the T.O.A.G.I.R from the archives. There's no luck on this case."

"Does that actually help? Plus, you memorised it didn't you?"

"I did, but it never hurts to have a physical copy. It would be better to refer to the real thing rather than a copy in your mind."

"True," Aiden said. "I'll come too."

"You don't-" Aru stopped herself. Instead, she smiled. "Thanks."

Aiden smiled back. "Give me 5 minutes."

————

The Archives were old and musty. The smell of old books wafted through Aru's sense of smell and it was comforting in a way.

The place was more silent than anywhere. Sometimes, it was better since thoughts were louder. But sometimes, it slowly drives you to sadness.

Aiden hummed a tune as he walked. Aru recognised it, "Isn't that the tune of 'The Heart Gives'? By Malini?"

"You know it?" Aiden asked.

"Of course. That was trending again 3 years ago. It's an old song though, isn't it? It was released 10 years ago?"

"Yeah," Aiden confirmed. "My mom. It was the song she wrote when she was still in love with my dad. And when he...cheated, she finally released that song. I dunno. Maybe she thought it would make her feel better. Or maybe it hurt because of all the memories it brought back."

Aru was quiet for a moment then said, "That's so iconic. Good for her."

"Yeah."

They walked through the aisles and aisles of book shelves before Aru asked, "Do you remember what you said that day? Harriet Bar?"

He swallowed. "No."

"Oh? About that four letter word? Ring a bell?"

"Not at all."

"What was that word, Aiden?"

Aru picked out the T.O.A.G.I.R from the shelf and turned to look at him. He said, "I have no idea what you're talking about."

She walked past him. "Fine."

Then, leaving the Archives, Aru called over her shoulder, "I'm going to find out anyway."

Aiden smiled sadly, "Good luck, but I'm sure you won't."

————

Mini Kapoor Mercado Lopez was not good at keeping secrets. And honestly, she thought she did a pretty good job at keeping the one about Rudy until he messed that up.

"I said I'm sorry," He poked her. "It's fine! They'd have to find out anyway. I mean, it was sooner or later and it was yesterday."

"Yeah," Mini sighed. "At least they don't know about the engagement. I have to break it out to them in the calmest way and if they find out before then...that would be messy."

"Why don't you tell them?"

"I need to tell them together and Aru's busy so...in any case she needs her mind on the actual case and I'd never forgive myself if I was the reason she messed up."

"It won't be that bad," Rudy insisted. Mini shook her head, "You don't know her like I do."

But she'd have to say it one day. And Mini wasn't ready for that.

When she kept that aside, dread crawled up in her stomach. What if...well Mini couldn't bring herself to think it, but what if Aru wasn't alive after the case for Mini to tell her? What if...

Mini shook herself, plastered a smile and said, "Are you free? Let's grab a bite."

Rudy grinned back, standing up. "It's on me."

short chapter 🤡 don't come after me

anyways there will be more action just wait for it lol it's taking its time but it's coming

-Loife xx