CHAPTER ELEVEN

Page count: 12

The Burrow - Monday 21st December 1981

"Thank you for watching him, Molly," James said as he handed over his hand to the older woman.

"Oh, it's no problem, dear," she smiled. "I imagine whatever you're doing is important and Harry shouldn't be around potential danger."

"It is important," Hermione nodded. "It's the next step in taking down undesirable number one."

"What?" Four sets of eyes trained on her bemused.

Hermione chuckled. "Inside joke, you wouldn't understand it," she explained.

"Well, we should only be a few hours," James informed her.

"Take all the time you need, good luck and be careful."

The four Marauders stood to attention, saluted and then turned on their heels, leaving out the door.

~000~000~000~

Hogwarts

Hermione and the Marauders walked through the large gates that protected the entrance to the Hogwarts grounds and as they grew closer to the castle, they noticed the lack of students with it still being early morning and most of the students went home for the holidays the previous Friday.

Hermione stopped in her steps, and stood, taking in the sight of the castle through her snow-covered hair and eyelashes.

"You okay?" James asked, stopping in his steps and turning to look back at her, noticing that she'd fallen behind.

"Yes, it's just the last time I saw the castle it was in pieces at my feet and surrounded by dead bodies."

They cursed silently; they should've remembered it would be difficult for her to return.

"That won't happen again," Remus promised softly and Hermione nodded silently.

James walked over to her, put his arm around her shoulders and tucked her into his side, a sigh leaving her as he guided her forwards once more.

Sirius smirked. 'Prewett Twins don't stand a chance,' he thought smugly.

"Albus," the Marauders greeted as one when they entered his office without being seen by any students, though it was still early. Hermione didn't speak, she just stood by the door leaning against the wall, observing Dumbledore's demeanour.

She noticed that as they exchanged pleasantries, James seemed more reserved with Dumbledore, more so than he'd ever been before.

"How is progress coming with the Horcruxes?" Dumbledore asked her.

"Well," she answered curtly, her gaze not wavering from his. Remus cleared his throat, breaking the two out of their staring contest.

"Shall we?" Sirius asked.

"Let's get this over with, I'm not exactly looking forward to it," she sighed.

"Why not?" Remus asked curiously.

"You'll see," with that, she turned around and left the office.

The four wizards followed behind her as she navigated her way expertly through the halls, even taking them through some of the secret passageways to make the journey quicker, the less time she had to spend with Dumbledore, the safer it would be for everyone around her. When she reached the seventh floor, she led them to the back wall.

"I don't get it," Sirius said, scratching the side of his head in confusion.

Hermione rolled her eyes.