BSBF : 6

•••

Nothing makes me feel the child I was the first time I laid eyes on Freen than bringing her back to my childhood home and hoping we don't wake up my parents.

"What do you want to drink?" I ask, still greeting the overly-excited dogs. I grab treats from the pantry.

"Whatever you're having," Freen tells me as she drops to her knees to pet Rufus. I stare for a few seconds, hating how freaking adorable she looks with her fingers buried in the old dog's fur.

I pour two glasses of lemonade and put our food on plates, taking it to the large island in the kitchen.

"I never realized how much I missed eating here." Freen looks around the room, flattening her hand on the surface of the cold granite counter.

"You and Heng spent a lot of time in the kitchen."

She half-smiles and takes a bite of her burger, nodding. I grab two fries and dip them in ketchup.

"The food was only part of the reason I liked coming back to the Armstrong Homestead."

I raise an eyebrow. "There was more than one reason?"

Her eyes meet mine, and something passes between us. My heart is in my throat, beating so fast and so loud there's no way she's not hearing it.

"There was."

I wait a beat, but she doesn't elaborate. "What was it?"

"That's for me to know." She gives me a little grin and goes back to her food. I can only stomach half my burger and a handful of fries before feeling too full. I pick the meat off the bun and divide it up between the dogs, who gobble it up in seconds.

Chrissy goes over to the back door and noses a bell hanging from the knob.

"Is she ringing a bell to go outside?"

"They all do. Well, everyone but Boots. That dog's not the brightest crayon in the box if you know what I mean. And when I let one out, they'll all want out."

Freen finishes her lemonade and stands, taking her plate and mine to the sink. She's right behind me when I unlock the door to let the dogs out, and steps onto the patio with me.

The sounds of the night echo around us and a soft breeze has picked up, moving the sticky humid air. All four dogs take off, running through the grass like idiots. My heart speeds up again when I look back at Freen, and all the things I've wanted to say to her over the years threaten to bubble up and spill out.

She takes a step closer, and the scent of her cologne wakes up every nerve inside of me, making me curse myself for not staying in touch with this beautiful woman.

The breeze picks up again, bringing in a gust that tousles my hair around my face. Freen tucks it back behind my ear and parts her lips. If we were in a romance movie, she'd lean in and kiss me right now. Then she'd tell me how she's always had feelings for me, and even though it's been years, the fluttering in her stomach came back the moment she saw me, just like it did when I saw her.

But this is real life, and real life isn't as carefully crafted and scripted like a movie. Freen has never expressed interest in me, and as far as I know, she thinks of me as a sister. Plus, Heng would throw a fit if I said I've had a crush on his friend, telling me how things will be awkward from there on out.

Sometimes, real life sucks.

Boots barks, and we turn just in time to see Chrissy lower into a crouch at the edge of the pool.