BFBS : 12

•••

Her brow is furrowed, and there's genuine concern in her eyes.

"Extending my arm and being on my computer."

"Do your fingers feel tingly?"

"Actually yeah, they have a few times when the pain gets bad."

"You have carpal tunnel syndrome, which is quite common for someone who types or is at a computer all day."

"I figured so." Her hand is still around my wrist. "A handful of my co-workers have it. They're a lot older than me, but it is what it is, I guess. So, am I damned to live like this forever, doc?"

"No, there are treatments. Start with ice and Advil for the pain and try a wrist brace."

"I will. Thanks."

Freen steps closer and hasn't let go of my wrist yet. "You said it makes your shoulder hurt?"

"It does, but I think part of that is bad posture. I know I slouch at my desk." I put my free hand over Freen's. "It's not something a massage can't fix, right?"

The floor in the butler's pantry creaks and Freen drops my wrist and steps back. Heng emerges into the kitchen.

"Are you guys hiding too?" he asks.

"Why are you hiding? This is your party. And no," I say. "We're not hiding. Mom's overreacting—surprise, surprise, I know—and made Freen look at my wrist."

"What's wrong with your wrist?"

"Carpal tunnel. It's seriously no big deal. Freen told me what to do and I'll be fine."

Heng gives Freen a nod. "You're a good friend for putting up with our mom."

Freen laughs. "She's not that bad."

"She can be a bit overbearing," Heng grumbles.

"Go back to your party," I tell him. "Before Nam notices you're missing."

"She's the one I had to get away from," Heng admits.

"You're hiding from your fiancée at your own engagement party?" I hike an eyebrow.

"She's still going on about your boobs. And then Mom came over and was talking about her boobs." He shudders. "I had to leave or throw up."

I laugh. "Watch out, Heng, we might start talking about our uteruses next." I give him a sweet smile. "I hope you two only have girls."

"As long as they're not twins. Twins do run in our family."

"It doesn't matter on the guy's side," Freen explains. "It only matters on the girl's side, and identical twins aren't hereditary anyway."

"Really?"

"Really. Identical twins are a random event."

"Well, that's good news," Heng says. "I guess I'll go back out there. Might as well enjoy the party you all threw in my honor, right? You're my best man," he says to Freen. "You gotta come save me. I mean join me. Keep me away from Aunt Mary. She thinks modern medicine is witchcraft so she'll avoid you."

"Best man," I repeat as Heng walks out of the room. I turn my gaze back to Freen. "I wasn't sure how that was going to go. Bright and Gulf were taking bets on which one of them Heng would pick. You are Heng's oldest friend. It makes sense."

"Yeah...we have been friends a long time." Her brow furrows again, and she flicks her eyes up to me, looking at me almost as if I'm suddenly offensive.

"So...I'll, uh, try to have better posture. Would that help my wrist pain?"

"Maybe. I'm a surgeon. I don't deal with this sort of thing. Make an appointment with your general practitioner." She turns to leave.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I snap.

"Nothing," she retorts, whirling around. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Seriously?" I ask.

"Yeah." She inhales deeply, and I'm not sure if she's going to tell me off or push me up against a wall and kiss me.

"It's like you're a rescue dog and I don't know if you're going to let me pet you or if you're going to bite. At least I can understand the dog's unpredictable behavior, but you...I haven't got a clue with you and you are driving me nuts."

"You want to pet me?"

"Yes. No. Kind of. It's a figure of speech." I throw my hands up. "Whatever, Freen I don't know what I did to offend you."

She strides forward so quickly I take a step back, pinning myself against the fridge. Freen's hands land on my waist and she moves in, legs spread, so her hips are against mine. I inhale the scent of her cologne, heart beating so fast I think it might explode. So many times I've imagined her hands on me. For years, I've yearned for her touch. Begged and pleaded with the universe to have her look at me and not see me as Heng's little sister.

And right now, she's not. I'm not her friend's sibling to put up with, but she's not looking at me the way I'd hoped. She stares at me with a combination of hatred and lust, more intense than anyone has ever looked at me before. It turns me on and terrifies me.

I'm hot and cold up against her.

I want to push her away and bring her closer.

She leans in, taking one hand off my waist to move my curls over my shoulder. She licks her lips, and the light above us shines off the trail of wetness left from her tongue. The heat between my thighs intensifies, and my pussy begs to be touched. Stroked. Fucked hard.

Just like in my dream.

I swallow my pounding heart and turn my head up to Freen, refusing to let her see how close to coming undone this is making me. She tucks my hair behind my ear and traces the outline of my jaw with her thumb, bringing it up to my mouth. I part my lips, feeling intoxicated by her touch.

"You didn't offend me, Rebecca." She spits each word out, eyes narrowing. Then she blinks and her face softens. Her hand trails over my collarbone and down my arm until our fingers meet. She intertwines hers with mine for a brief moment. "You didn't. But I should go."

She pushes off me and goes back to the party like nothing happened. I lean onto the counter for support, heart racing and nerves tingling. That asshole did it on purpose. She knew she could get that reaction out of me. Knew she could easily unnerve me with a few simple touches.

Fuck her.

If I never see Freen again, it would be too soon.

— TBC 🐻