BFBS : 23

•••

"I'll be right back." I clamp my hands over my breasts to cover my nipples and do my best not to run away. Deciding not to go with the sexy outfit I'd previously picked out, I pull a blue dress over my head. I discovered a while ago a cute yet comfy dress can make it look like you put more effort into your outfit than you actually did. Dresses seem to have that effect, fancying-up your appearance simply by not being pants.

"I still think you looked good in the pajamas," Freen says when I emerge from the bedroom. "But I do like this too."

"Thanks." She put her button-up back on and has the sleeves rolled up. I don't know why that look is so damn sexy, but it is. "The professional look works for you."

"I prefer my scrubs with a stethoscope hanging around my neck so everyone knows I'm a doctor. But, unfortunately, I didn't bring them."

"You're going to have to pretend to be a lowly peasant like the rest of us."

"If that's what it takes to get you to go on a date with me, I'm willing to take one for the team." She moves to the door and puts on her shoes. "Shall we?"

"Hang on, I need to get my selfie to send to Heng." I put my arm around her, doing the cheesiest pose I can think of, and snap a picture. "And now to caption it..." I pretend like I'm writing a text message. "Freen is taking me on a hot date tonight. Don't worry, we'll use protection." I flick my eyes to her, smiling.

"Sent."

"Hilarious, Rebecca. We both know Heng would try to kill me if he thought I was hooking up with you."

"He would kill you."

"He'd try." She hands me my purse. "I could take him."

"Yeah, probably." I punch in the code on my alarm and open the door. "I guess we better not tell him then."

"Now this one is serious," I say, tipping my head up to look at her. We're slowly making our way along the Riverwalk after getting dinner and drinks. I might be a little buzzed. Whether it's from the alcohol or the electricity humming between her and I, there's no way to tell.

"I'm ready." She takes my hand, lacing her fingers through mine.

"You're alone in the car and 'Living on a Prayer' comes on. What do you do?"

"I turn that shit up and belt it out. Which I'd do even if I wasn't alone, just to warn you." She pulls my hand back, bringing me to her. The wind picks up, and I shiver. Freen lets go of my hand to wrap her arms around me. The feeling she gives me can only be described as butterflies, and I haven't experienced anything like this in years.

"Did I pass the test?"

"Yes," I tell her. "But things are about to get more intense. "What if 'Shake it Off' comes on next?"

"I'm alone?"

"Totally alone. On a country road."

"Hmmm." Her hands slide up and down my back. I shiver again, but not from the cold. "That song is catchy. I'll be singing and dancing."

I laugh, throwing my head back so the wind doesn't blow my hair into her face. "Do you even know the words?"

"No. I know what song you're talking about. I think. Maybe? I don't want to fail your test."

Hooking my arms around her shoulders, I shuffle closer until my hips brush hers. "There was no test. Mostly because I wasn't keeping score."

"You put me through all that for nothing?"

"Guilty. What are you going to do about it?"

In a sudden and swift movement, she scoops me up and turns to the river.

"Freen," I squeal, clinging to her tighter. "Don't you dare!" We both laugh and her hands linger over my body as she sets me back down. We stand there, close together, both of our hearts pounding. The wind blows my hair again and she gathers it in one hand, moving it to the side of my neck.

"Have you decided yet?" Her deep voice cuts through the night. She looks into my eyes when she talks and the confidence is sexy on her. It's not over the top. It's not hyped up to over—compensate for something. It's completely genuine and is doing bad things to me right now.

Bad things that would feel so good.

"On what?"

"On whether you want this to be a date or not."

I bite my lip. "You have to answer one more question first."

"If your question is if I put out on the first date, I have been known to."

Laughing, I bring my hands down from her shoulders, splaying my fingers on her chest. An attractive womanman who can make me laugh...I need to run far, far away. Because as much as I want this to continue, I know it won't.

It can't.

"That's kind of along the lines of my question."

She wiggles her eyebrows. "I like where this is going. What's your question?"

"If this is our first date, will you take me out on a second?"

— TBC 🐻