BFBS : 10

•••

Chapter 6
REBECCA

I cannot believe I had feelings for that asshole.

A mere few hours ago, at that. Am I stupid for reading too much into last night? We talked. We bonded. We felt like friends, and for once I thought Freen looked at me like I was more than just Heng's little sister, who she puts up with solely out of loyalty to her friend.

"Becky!" Nam squeals, walking through the foyer with open arms. "Thank you again so much for helping today!"

"Of course," I tell her as she hugs me. "It was fun."

And it was, other than the ride home from the grocery store where Freen did her best to act like I wasn't even there. I don't get it.

And they say women are complicated.

"Everything looks great. The food smells amazing and those drinks are to die for!"

"I had them at a party in Chicago once. They're too complicated for me to make, but that's why we invited Gulf and Bright, right?"

Nam laughs. She's had one or two drinks already, I can tell. She was nervous for tonight she admitted while we were cooking, and hates being the center of attention. She actually suggested to Heng they elope just so she can avoid opening presents in front of everyone at her bridal shower.

"And you look amazing," she goes on, looping her arm through mine. We head to the appetizer table. "I'm seriously jealous of your boobs."

I look down at my cleavage and laugh. "I could tell you how annoying these boobs are and how I'd kill to trade with you, but I'd be lying."

"Thanks for the honesty. I've been thinking more and more about getting mine done."

"If you want it, then do it."

"Really?" Nam picks up a plate.

"Sure. It's your body."

"You're the first person to not try and talk me out of it."

"Why would I?" I grab myself a plate as well. "If it's what you want, then go for it. Besides the obvious—going under the knife—I don't see how it's any different than getting up and doing your hair and makeup every day. You're changing your appearance that way as well."

"Right? That's what I told my sister."

I start filling my plate when Heng walks over. Freen is with him, and I don't have to look up to know. The scent of her cologne fills my nose, causing me to tense. Not because it smells bad, but because it reminds me of last night.

"What are you talking about?" Heng wraps his arms around Nam.

"Boobs," Nam responds.

"This is a conversation I can get behind." Heng slides his hands up Nam's waist.

She takes his hands in hers. "I was specifically talking about Rebecca's. I'd kill for a set like that. I mean, they're perfect, aren't they?"

Heng's face contorts and he shakes his head. "She's my sister. As far as I'm concerned, she's never had any."

I roll my eyes. "I've had nice boobs since I was thirteen. It's the Armstrong curse."

"That's not a curse," Nam laughs. "Oh, there's my aunt Jessica. Remember, she's the one who's going to try to get you to campaign with her."

"The conservative one?"

"Yes. And if she asks—and she probably will—we're waiting until marriage."

"For what?" Heng asks, looking at Nam like he's serious.

"You're lucky I love you," Nam mutters before putting on a fake smile. She takes Heng's hand and goes to greet her aunt.

"Want a plate?" I ask Freen, casting my eyes up to her for half a second. Her face is set. I might not know Freen Sarocha at all, but I know for a fact she's not one to turn down food.

"Sure."

I hand her one and move around the table. The tension between us is thick and heavy, and I don't understand why it's there at all. I look at Freen again, wishing I could crack her open and take a look at her internal codes to find out what makes her tick. And to also find out what the hell is wrong with her.

There's a reason I like to work with computers and not people.

I take my plate and turn on my heel, ignoring the sexy woman in front of me, and almost run over my grandma. She's headed in the direction I just came from and wants company. I don't want to step back into the ice storm Freen has raging around her, but it's my nana.

"Hi, Mrs. Armstrong," Frwen says, offering a polite smile. "It's been a long time. How have you been?"

Nana smiles. "Freen Sarocha. My, it has been a while! I've been good, busy with my garden and the choir."

"Has Shelly stepped aside yet and let you take the lead?"

Nana beams. "You remembered! And yes, she has, but only because she got cancer."

"Oh, I'm so sorry."

Nana leans in. "Between you and me, she deserved it!"

"Nana!" I say, eyes widening.

"The stories I could tell about that woman!" Nana turns to me. "But not here. We'll save those for the bachelorette party." She gets herself a plate. "I hear you're a doctor now, Freen."

"Yes, I am. I finish my residency this year."

"Are you hoping to start your own private practice?"

"No, ma'am. I'm a surgeon, so I'll be staying at a hospital."

"Ohhh," Nana coos. "A surgeon. You must be good with your hands." She winks at Freen. "And I bet you look dashing in that white doctor coat. You know I'm single, don't you?" Nana puts a few appetizers on her plate. "Oh, Barbara, dear!" She waves to one of her friends and takes off.

— TBC 🐻