Chapter 8: Proposal

"If you love somebody, you better tell them why their here cause', they just may run away from you!" I sang.

"You'll never know quite when well, then again, it just depends on, how long of a time is left for you!" Velvet continued.

"I've had the highest mountain, I've had the deepest rivers, you can have it all but life keeps moving! Take it in, but don't look down..." Now the chorus. I thought.

We both sing. "Cause' I'm on top of the world eh'! I'm on top of the world eh'! Waitin' on this for a while now, payin' my dues to the dirt. I've been waitin' to smile eh'! Been holdin' it in for a while eh'! Take you with me if I can, been dreamin' of this since a child. I'm on top of the world."

The song continues and when it ends, I stepped off stage so Velvet could do her solo.

Orchid's perspective:

I heard the music begin as Vels's beautiful voice rang through the speakers.

"I found a love, for me. Oh darlin' just dive right in, and follow my lead!" I gasped as she continued. "Well I found a girl, beautiful and sweet. Oh I never knew you were the someone, waitin' for me! Cause we were just kids when we fell in love. Not knowing what it was. I will not give you up, this time. But darlin' just kiss me slow. Your heart is all I own. And in your eyes you're holdin' mine..." She walked over to where I was standing back stage with Veneer and Ritz, and pulled me on stage with her. "Baby I'm, dancin' in the dark! With you between my arms!" She twirled me around. "Barefoot on the grass! Listening to our favorite song. When you said you looked a mess, I whispered underneath my breath. But you, heard it. Darlin' you look, perfect tonight." She put her arm around me and continued singing.

When the song ended everyone clapped. I think I even heard someone say that they wish they were me. I didn't blame them one bit. Then, as if this night wasn't already amazing, she kissed me. I knew that the camera was probably zooming in on us. But I smiled into the kiss. I felt so happy.

Ritz's perspective:

Orchid and Veneer switched places and I grinned at her. "Looks like you had fun out there!"

She sighed dreamily. "Oh it was perfect. Pun intended."

We both laughed as Watch Me Work started to play. This is a great way to spend my birthday...

"It never gets old no matter how much I'm told, I'm amazin'." Velvet began.

"You're amazin'." Veneer sang, sounding like an angel.

"It's hard to get tired when I'm always on fire, oh I'm blazin'."

"Oooh your blazin', uh." Veneer backed her up.

"All, my greatness." They sang together. "It doesn't come for free. All, my talent. It doesn't grow on trees. Take, a breather. Then take it all the way!"

Veneer grabbed Velvet's hands and flung her into the air as she sang: "IF THE TOP IS WHERE YOU WANNA SAY!" She landed perfectly.

"You gotta work hard! To make it look easy! You gotta live fast! To keep makin' that money!" Velvet took the lead, and every few seconds Veneer would follow up with the back-up vocals. There was one part of the song near the end when Velvet sang: "To make it look easy!" And Veneer followed up with the hottest"easy" I'd ever heard in my life.

They finished the song with a final: "WATCH ME WORK!"

Then Velvet came and stood next to me and Orchid. "Is he doing a solo?" I ask.

She nods. "Yep, Abcdefu."

"WAIT SERIOUSLY?!" I exclaimed. "I LOVE that song!"

She laughed. "Yeah, it's good."

Then the realization hit me. "Wait, but isn't that a break-up song?"

She nods. "Yeah. Before we did Watch Me Work he was in a pretty abusive relationship with this guy named Rick."

My eyebrows furrow. "That's... Horrible."

"Yeah, it is." She says as the music starts.

"F*** you and your mom and your sister and your job and broke ass car and that shit you call art!" He screamed into the microphone. It sent chills down my spine. He sounded amazing, but he also sounded angry. I don't want him to be angry.

The song continued, and when it ended, I wanted to run over to him and hug him, then I heard someone scream: "F*** THIS SHIT!" My eyes dart around the crowd and I see a guy with black hair and gray skin glaring up at the stage.

"Oh hell no." Velvet hissed under her breath.

I look over at her. "Wait, is that..."

She nods, her face twisted up in anger.

I look back over at the crowd, but he was gone.

Veneer came over to us. He turned to Velvet. "Did you see him?"

"Yeah. I can't believe that bitch would come here!" She hissed like a snake threatening to attack.

Veneer covered his face with his hands, seeming stressed.

I pulled him into a hug. "Hey, you'll be fine. I'm sure nothing bad will happen." I whispered into his ear.

He wrapped his arms around me and buried his face in my shoulder. "I know."

We stood like that for a while, and then he pressed his lips to mine and the kiss lasted for a while.

We parted and stared at each other lovingly, our foreheads pressing against each other.

Then he was on one knee.