12 ➪ Love, Levi

•Phoenix•

25/3/1870
To my beloved,
If you were to make an estimate, exactly how long do you believe it will take until I have completely forgotten about your affection? Your name is permanently incised on each and every organ within my being. I have tried, my love, to rid of your existence in my mind. I have been unsuccessful. So I beseech you, please tell me how I can forget you.
Love, Levi

_________________

My eyes immediately dart to the blaring sound of the ringtone coming from her phone. Her phone vibrates in its spot, begging to be noticed. Her movement stills as she registers the Caller ID.

She leisurely reaches for her phone and takes a composed breath in as though she is mentally preparing herself for the upcoming conversation. The sound of painful silence reaches my ears after she answers the phone by pressing the respective button.

Her posture improves instantly and I cannot help myself but believe his expectations for her are through the roof. Nobody says a word. She stares at the cellular device resting in the palm of her hand as she waits for the man on the other side of the line to take initiative and break the silence.

My patience wears thin as I wait to finally hear his voice. After five years of silence, I am ready to finally hear the voice of the man who not only ended the life of my Father, but changed the lives of the people around him. Domino effect. Inevitable.

"Camilla." He speaks bitterly. Her chest slowly rises and falls as she hears her name spoken coldly by her Father.

"Father." She replies monotonously. She bites the dried layer of skin on her bottom lip as she places her phone on the desk.

I watch as she looks up at me, fear painted all over her face. My brows furrow at her expression. I thought her Father was trying to protect her.

I peel a post-it note away from the pile neatly stacked on my desk as well as a black pen. Her eyes follow my movement as I begin drawing circles on the limited space in attempts to distract her from her nerves.

The silence on the other end of the line grows and is truly deafening. They are Father and Daughter but appear to speak to one another like two passing strangers.

"You had your first day today." He mutters slowly. A burning sensation begins to build in my chest. The first sentence I have heard him say in over five years. The circles that I once drew slowly and carefully become rough and messy as my hand reacts to his monstrous voice quicker than my conscious does.

Camilla fidgets with the necklace that hangs low due the rose charm around her neck. Her sleek fingers twisting and turning as she loops and un-loops the necklace around them.

She nods her head and quickly speaks up as she realises her simple bodily gesture is not satisfactory for a conversation held over the phone.

"Yes, Father."

"I trust you are appreciative."

"Yes, Father."

She speaks without a trace of emotion. Her repetitive words do not seem to phase him. He sounds as though this is what their conversations usually consist of.