38 ➪ Love, Lilith

•Phoenix•

1894
Dear, I have a strange feeling that something bad is to happen. Can you feel it too?
Love, Lilith

_________________

My fingers lose themselves within the strands of her chocolate coloured hair as I absentmindedly stroke her locks. The comforting feeling of her warm cheek pressed against my bare, cold chest only serves as solid proof of the shitty man I have grown to be.

I did not plan any of it. I did not show up to Camilla's door, break in, and find a comfortable seat in her bedroom just to fuck her. Though I had reason for my mischief, it was not exactly that.

To be completely honest, I do not know what got into me. Maybe it was the sight of her perfectly carved body spotlighted by the moonlight's glow. Or maybe it was the sound of her voice when she spoke to me so seductively in her native language.

Let me show you just how much you mean to me.

Fuck, maybe it was even the way her honey-coloured pools of glory sucked me into oblivion when she thought to lower herself onto her knees in attempts to please me on her birthday when really and truly, it should be the other way around. On any given day.

Whatever it was really fucking worked. Because it made me turn my back on the one rule I had set for myself. Don't give her all of me; never let her all the way in.

My gaze fixes on the high ceilings of her bedroom but my attention succumbs to the continuous reminder that our end is near. Tick. Tick. Tick.

I am not sad. I am sorry. Sorry that my loyalty towards my family's reputation is too strong to shake. Sorry that regardless of the fact that I quite literally hated my father for allowing my mother disappear, I still feel the need to win him back his justice in return for putting up with my ass.

Her father was always going to return home and she was always going to find out the real reason for my dislike towards him. It is bound to happen. Inevitable.

It is the early hours of the morning, yet the sun has failed to make an appearance. It could be due to the fact that winter is nearing and naturally, the sun will rise later than usual. Or it could be due to the fact that even Mother Nature knows that today will not be a good day.

Today is the day that Marcello D'Angelo Forest arrives home. That will only end in bloodshed and tears.

Camilla does not stir, but I can tell that she has awoken by the way her heart beats a little faster than it has been and by the slight flutter of her lashes against my skin.

A chilling breeze rushes its way through the window and Camilla's statue façade cracks as her shoulders tense and the arm that has been lazily thrown over my stomach tightens around my waist.

I pull the duvet over her shoulders in response and my fingers subconsciously trail up the skin over her spine. The new silence reverberates around the room before the sound of the clock bleeds into the empty noise again and fills in the space. Tick. Tick. Tick.

"What are you afraid of?" The rasp in her tender voice catches me off guard and I do not doubt for a second that her cheek felt at least one of the punches my heart creates as a result of its rapid beating. I need to get that checked.