13 ➪ Love, Malcolm

•Camilla•

14/12/1871
To my soulmate,
You are the one reason my heart still skips a beat when a presence like your own enter the room. I am no longer a boy. I am a grown man. So why is that you have such an effect on my matured heart? You are grace personified. You are humility externalised. You are compassion materialised. You are a true inspiration.
Love, Malcolm

_________________

"Everyone must write two pages regarding George Orwell's life and what he wrote 1984 for." My professor's eyes scan the lecture hall making no use of her cat-eye glasses as she slightly tilts her head downwards and looks right over her spectacles.

A hand shoots up from the corner of the hall and her dramatic sigh is evident as she waves it off. "If you have any questions, email me. Class dismissed."

She shoos everyone out of the lecture hall before settling in her desk chair and typing unknown words on her keyboard. I have every intention of asking her for her email as I have only been enrolled in this school for a week and a half but stop myself as an arm hooks with mine.

I flinch at the sudden interaction but smile when I see Aisha smiling back at me. She wears her thick hair in a neat bun and tops it off with her signature headband. A few strands of hair fall over her brows further framing her face.

"I hate english lit." She rolls her eyes and searches mine for any trace of agreement. I choke a laugh and counter her viewpoint.

"Really?" I ask in shock. "I love english lit. Can't get enough of it." We walk towards the lunch hall and avoid colliding with other hungry students.

Her face drops before quickly replacing her lack of emotion with a warm smile. "Well, I guess if you like it, I love it." We both laugh at her ridiculousness before finding ourselves in the line. The very long line.

I reach for a plate but that plate is quickly stolen by someone else. My head shoots to the culprit but I quickly relax as I see Joel flash a smile in my direction.

Joel stands tall at 6'2 with blonde dreads that complement his golden skin. They fall down to the top of his ear partially blinding him. He ties half of the left portion of his hair up and wraps the tie he should be wearing around his neck on his forehead making him look goofier than he already is.

His white shirt is untucked and his sweater vest is missing. His chest area looks bare as the tie he wraps around his head is replaced by a presumably heavy gold chain. He definitely thinks he is still in high school.

"Why do you look so lonely, pretty girl?" Joel asks with a wink. I stop myself from rolling my eyes as Joel proceeds to nudge my arm with his.

A scowl grows on Aisha's face as she glances at Joel from the side of her eye. "I'm here with her, you idiot." Joel's face falls as soon as Aisha's comes into his view.

I have not been here for long, but I can feel that there is some animosity between the two of them. Last week, Aisha hid his favourite basketball jersey, so Joel snuck into her math teacher's office and lit her exam paper on fire. They are crazy.

They glare at each other for what feels like hours before Joel finally speaks up.

"Yeah it was a pick-up line, you dumbass."