16 ➪ Love, Phillip

•Camilla•

1/3/1869
I made apple pie today. Just the way you taught me to. It tasted splendid. Just the way I remembered it did when you made it. I wish you would come back. The story of my life will always be incomplete knowing you will no longer be in any of the pages. I just cannot fathom the naked truth. You are gone.
Love, Phillip

_________________

I look over to the clock hanging on the walls of my kitchen. The roman numerals hinder me from reading it instantly but eventually, I see it. 09:51.

Phoenix told me he would pick me up at 10 this morning, but I was supposed to be at College an hour ago. Maybe he wants me to arrive fashionably late?

I finish spreading the last bit of cream cheese on my bagel and decide that Phoenix should have one too. I mean, sure he didn't like the hot cocoa that I made for him but that was only because it was too sweet.

I recall the interaction between Phoenix and I and my face immediately screws up. Unconsciously at that. No but really, who doesn't like hot cocoa?

I quickly place the bagel slices in the toaster before my eyes land on the clock again. Four seconds later, I am able to read it. 09:54. Six minutes. I only have six minutes until Phoenix arrives.

He doesn't seem like one to be unpunctual either.

I ready the cream cheese by gathering it on my butter knife and although I see it coming, I start at the crispy bagel slices jumping up at me.

I snatch them and lather them with cream cheese. I glance up at the clock. '57. Fuck, I need to hurry. I grab a brown paper bag and place the ready bagel inside it. I race to the sink, wash my hands, throw on my jacket and adjust myself using the reflection of the full body mirror in the hallway leading to the front door.

I make sure my white, button-down blouse is neatly tucked in and I straighten out my skirt, relieving it of any rumples. I examine the console table to my left for any useful items and almost cry tears of joy when I notice my favourite glittery lipgloss I have not seen in ages.

I apply it to my plump lips and set it down before spritzing my entire body with vanilla-scented perfume. I throw a piece of gum into my mouth and go to grab my cocoa butter lotion but my attention is stolen by a knock on the door.

My eyes find the clock and as vowed, the clock reads 10:00 and Phoenix is here at my door. I take calm steps towards the large frame and slowly swing it open.

Phoenix stands tall— very tall at my door with a blank expression etched on his face. Had I not been focused enough, I would have missed the slight gleam his eyes suppressed when the door opened.

His black button-down shirt allows his prominent chest peek through, alongside the tattoos he bares on it. My eyes shamelessly travel down his delicious body, eating it all up but they pause as I notice what he carries in his hand.

A rose. A single rose. Memories of the first time he gifted me a rose rush back and my heart thumps at the events that followed shortly after. I look up to see his eyes already fixed on me.

A hint of confusion drowns his pools and I quickly flash a smile in hopes to drain them. A grin grows on his face but it does not quite reach his eyes.