31 ➪ Love, Eleanor

•Camilla•

8/4/1879
Yes, dear. I do love you.
Love, Eleanor

____________________

"You promise you'll be back soon?" A worried Melanie asks over the phone. For the past four days, my friends have been absolutely destroying my line by disturbing my peace and asking if I'm okay.

I know they think that I blame them for what happened at that party, and a piece of each of them blames themselves too, but nobody could have predicted what was going to happen.

Though the thought of what might've happened had I not sent that text to Phoenix strangles me and cuts any source of oxygen around me short, I could never blame my friends for the actions of a drunk and horny frat boy.

"Yes, guys. I'll be back soon." I reassure them. My toes curl at the foreign feeling of baby fish nipping at the dead skin on my feet. I look over to Luna beside me, who has her head thrown back in a relaxed manner and her arms peacefully resting on the armrests.

"The weekend is coming up soon. Can we come see you?" Aisha asks, presumably standing at quite a distance from the phone as her voice slightly echoes.

My eyes bulge from their sockets as she casually drops her question. A question that is typically normal and acceptable. I should be able to answer curtly with a yes or a no, but my throat tightens as I search for a respectable excuse for them not to come and visit.

I still feel unwell? No. There would be nothing I could say to hinder them from visiting anyway. I need some alone time? No. They'd throw me a pity party and send a bouquet of flowers to my door.

"Uh— well. No." I decide in uttering. Well, shit. The chatter on the other side of the line falls silent as my friends process my answer. Nobody says a word. I say nothing. They say nothing.

My stomach churns as I await a response to my abrupt rejection. My denial of their visit has nothing to do with them and everything to do with a certain devastatingly gorgeous man I am currently missing.

How do I tell my friends that I am ditching school and staying in a house 3 hours away from mine and sleeping in a bed with the man I swear is just someone I know without them judging me?

Right. I can't.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that. There's just a lot going on right now." I sigh. My friends murmur sympathetic words and reassure me that nothing that happened is my fault.

"Thanks, guys. I seriously love all of you. I'll see you soon." We cut the call and I let out a long-awaited sigh. My shoulders feel heavy and my mind feels blurry. I can't decide on a distinct feeling and the only thing that is keeping me sane is the slight breeze rushing in from the open windows.

My eyelids flutter close and I force my body to loosen up and sink into the quiet feeling of nibbling on my soles. I begin to drift into an array of thoughts. That is until I am snapped out of it by Luna's surprising soothing voice.

"How did you meet my brother?" She questions, still closing her eyes and looking overly relaxed. Should I be scared right now? Because I think I am.