Sulking in The Background

The twins ended up staying in the other available room while I basked in the glory that was scheduling a room in advance. I got to wake up in a pretty spacious bed and head down to the complimentary breakfast which I hoped was made by Haruhi.

I met up with the twins in the dining hall, it looked like neither of them had gotten any sleep "I don't get it?" I said taking another bite of my breakfast "if you two are used to sleeping together then why is it different now?" I asked sipping my drink "the bed was different" said Kaoru "it was way smaller than what we're used to" finished Hikaru "that makes sense I guess" the three of us went back to eating our breakfast.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Haruhi answering the door, curious I tried my best to listen in, and from the looks of things, I wasn't the only curious one. The twins and I listened in as the new guy talked to Haruhi. From what I could hear he was her classmate in middle school and... had feelings for her. For some reason, I felt my heart tighten as if someone had taken hold of my heart and squeezed it as tight as they could.

Unsure of what to do I looked over at Hikaru and Kaoru to see them slightly angry? their faces were hard to read, it was clear they didn't like this new guy as much as I did but Kaoru seemed to hide it better than Hikaru did. Looking to escape the tightening in my chest I grabbed Hikaru's hand and led him away "We're gonna hang out" I said in a cold tone "yeah" I looked back at Hikaru for a slight second as he said that "awe cmon guys stay here for a while and hang out" Kaoru tried to reason, but I could tell my judgment would be clouded by my emotions "I'd rather hang out anywhere that's not near him" I was shocked at the cold tone Hikaru used at his twin "we're just gonna go"

"thanks" I jumped at the sudden sound of Hikaru's voice "no hay problema(no problem). I needed a break too" I paused for a second "plus you looked like you were gonna murder the guy" the air between us grew tense as the silence lingered around us. Not knowing any other way to ease the tension I dragged Hikaru to my room to play some video games.

Hikaru and I stayed in my room playing different games almost all day, knowing the guy was still down there with Haruhi. As Hikaru laid on my lap holding one of my consoles I began wondering why he reacted so similarly to me. By now I had worked out the name of this weird emotion, jealousy. So was Hikaru also jealous? The worry I felt must have shown on my face because Hikaru seemed to notice "is everything ok?" he asked "Hikaru... Do you like Haruhi too?" I saw his face light up with a blush "it's not like that, dummy! It's just that. You like Haruhi and I'm your friend so when I saw that guy flirting with her and you did nothing. Ugh, I don't know!" I pet his head and dropped the subject.

It was almost night time and Haruhi's old classmate was about to leave. I saw one of the twins run up to him and apologize for being rude earlier. The apology made me think it was Hikaru but the voice sounded like it belonged to Kaoru. Putting two and two together I figured Kaoru was apologizing for Hikaru's behavior, the only problem was that Haruhi also knew how to tell the twins apart. After the guy left I could see Haruhi confronting Kaoru. Not being able to hear anything I decided to just go back into my room and sleep.