Chapter 7: River Steed

"We're at fifteen thousand dollars!" the auctioneer declared, acknowledging my bid. "Do I hear anything higher?"

"Eighteen thousand dollars!" another bidder called out.

"Twenty thousand dollars!" a woman in blue at the left-wing corner countered.

Quickly, I raised my buyer's number. "Twenty-five thousand dollars!" I proclaimed.

"We're at twenty-five thousand dollars!" the auctioneer confirmed.

"Twenty-seven thousand dollars!" the woman in blue retaliated, her eyes meeting mine as she made her bid.

"This is getting interesting," I mused, sensing the competition heating up. It seemed a silent battle of wills was underway, and I was determined to emerge victorious.

"We're at twenty-seven thousand dollars! Do I have a higher bid?" the auctioneer inquired.

Without hesitation, I raised the stakes. "Forty thousand dollars," I stated firmly, folding my arms confidently as I locked eyes with my competitor. The challenge was clear: who possessed the greater desire to claim "Aeneas' Departure."

"Fifty thousand dollars!" the woman countered, her resolve unwavering as she met my gaze.

Undeterred, I raised the bid once more. "One hundred thousand dollars," I declared, my voice carrying across the room. As the auctioneer confirmed my bid, I exchanged a knowing smile with the woman in blue, acknowledging the intensity of our silent duel.

With no further bids forthcoming, the auctioneer brought down the gavel, sealing the deal. "Sold! 'Aeneas' Departure' by Lucius Aurelius Artorius goes to the gentleman with number seven," he announced, directing his gaze towards me.

I nodded in satisfaction as the painting was secured. With my mother's dream acquisition now in my possession, I turned my attention to the next item up for auction. But it was the unveiling of a majestic painting of a horse that truly captured my imagination. Enthralled by its beauty and detail, I eagerly awaited the opportunity to make it mine.

"This painting, titled 'River Steed' by artist Wave Dagat, depicts a chestnut-colored horse swimming in water, rendered in oil. It measures three feet wide by two feet tall, and bidding starts at one thousand dollars.

Bidding commenced with a random person offering two thousand dollars, followed by another at two thousand five hundred

Bidding commenced with a random person offering two thousand dollars, followed by another at two thousand five hundred. My attention shifted to a familiar face from the café, clearly well-off and keen on art.

He raised the stakes to five thousand dollars, prompting a smile from me. I decided to join the fray, offering ten thousand dollars. His reaction, however, was not what I expected - a scowl rather than acknowledgment.

As the bidding war escalated rapidly, I couldn't help but find his intensity endearing, like a determined tiger cub. However, it was time to conclude our little game. With a final bid of one hundred thousand dollars, I secured the painting, though his glare spoke volumes.