Chapter 26: Speech

"Let's start with your haircut, Sir," the hairstylist said, securing the barber's cape around my neck. He deftly placed crocodile pins in my hair before proceeding to cut it with precision.

Throughout the process, I remained engrossed in my phone, handling business matters and keeping abreast of news articles about the industry. I anticipated Carl orchestrating press ambushes to probe why I resigned and needed to strategize my response.

"Sir... Sir?" the hairstylist interrupted my thoughts.

"Yes?" I looked up, momentarily distracted.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, Sir. Would you like to check your hairstyle and make any adjustments?" he asked.

"Of course— Whoa!" I exclaimed upon seeing my reflection. I looked... different. It was a strange sensation, knowing it was still me but feeling like I was looking at someone else. The hairstylist was right; my eyes stood out against the metallic sheen of my new hair color. It felt like I stepped out of this world.

"So, do you like it, Sir?" the hairstylist inquired.

"Do I like it?" I echoed, slowly processing. "I love it," I smiled. "It's fantastic. You've done an excellent job."

"Thank you, Sir," he responded with a relieved tone. Layla suddenly appeared beside me. "It's all done."

"Let me see," Layla inspected, impressed by the transformation. "Wow. It looks even better than I imagined. Caelus, it suits you perfectly."

"I know, right?" I agreed, noticing her own refreshed appearance. "What's the occasion?"

"Oh, just meeting someone," she vaguely replied.

"Who exactly?" I prodded.

"A potential date, maybe," she teased.

"That's great," I remarked, genuinely pleased for her.

"Thanks. You should find something that makes you equally happy," she advised.

"I will, don't worry. Anyway, I have to head out now."

"So soon?" Layla frowned. "Isn't the party a couple of hours away?"

"I want to swing by my flat first, change clothes, maybe grab a drink," I explained.

"Seriously?" Layla's annoyance can be seen all over her face as she approaches me. "Isn't that what got you into this mess in the first place?"

"Layla, I can handle my alcohol," I assured her. "It's different this time. Didn't I tell you Carl drugged me that night?"

"Oh, I forgot about that detail," Layla admitted, rubbing her elbow.

"No worries. I have no intention of touching a drop of alcohol at that party," I reassured her. "I've learned my lesson. Snakes aren't just found in the wild; sometimes, they smile right in front of you."

"Good for you," she nodded.

"I'll head off then."

"Sure. Just keep me updated. Let me know when I should start acting as your stepbrother's secretary."

"Absolutely. I owe you one."

I exited the hair studio feeling like a million bucks with my new look, thanks to her. It was strange, but it felt like I was reborn with a newfound determination. It's funny how a simple change can alter one's perspective on life.

As I made my way to the parking lot, I spotted a young family in the distance, one of them carrying a toddler. It stirred up regrets about the family I could have had with Jun. Seeing younger families only seemed to age me further, but I shook off the melancholy thoughts and got into my car, heading towards my flat, which was a fair distance away.