Chapter 24: Sunset at the Dock

Sir Jason smiled warmly as I reminisced about my late mother.

"You truly miss her, don't you?" he remarked gently.

"Every single day, since the day she left," I replied softly. "But I find solace in believing she's always guiding me from above."

"I'm sure she is," he nodded in understanding.

"What about you, Sir Jason?" I inquired, shifting the conversation. "How was your relationship with your mother?"

"We didn't always see eye to eye," he admitted. "But despite our disagreements, she was always there to support me."

"That's normal," I agreed with a chuckle. "My mom and I used to butt heads all the time. I even nicknamed her Tigress because of her fiery temper. Those memories bring a smile to my face now."

"Anyway, are you looking for anything specific here?" I asked, returning to the present moment.

"Not really," he replied. "I'm just browsing, open to whatever catches my eye."

With that, we strolled through the flea market, taking in the array of items on display. While we explored, I found myself drawn to the clothing section, particularly the cute T-shirts imported from Japan and Korea. Sir Jason, however, gravitated towards hooded tees. Jackets didn't interest me much, so I focused on items for the home – kitchen utensils, rags, and the like. Before long, I couldn't resist picking up a few things to spruce up my living space.

"I didn't know you enjoyed shopping for home items," Jason observed, eyeing the assortment of items I'd picked up. "Do you need a hand?"

"Oh, no, I've got it," I declined, feeling a pang of embarrassment as I realized I'd gone overboard with my purchases.

"I insist," he countered, taking some of the plastic bags from my grasp. "We both know omegas tire easily."

"Well, alright," I relented, deciding it was time to start feeling at ease around him, especially since he'd soon be my boss. "But Sir Jason, are you sure about this?"

"Absolutely," he assured me. "And call me Jason when it's just us. It's no big deal."

I nodded, feeling a sense of friendship as we continued exploring the flea market. This time, I even picked up a few things for Max. Before long, we reached the end of the market, where the aroma of street food beckoned.

"Oh, my goodness, shrimp!" I exclaimed excitedly as the scent reached me. "I absolutely love shrimp!"

"Want to have some, then?" Jason suggested.

"Absolutely!" I agreed eagerly, but my enthusiasm waned as I caught sight of an octopus being prepared nearby, my stomach churning at the sight.

"Lance, are you alright?" Jason's concern was evident as he approached me. "I thought you like shrimp."

I hesitated, trying to shake off the queasiness induced by the sight of the octopus.

"I, um, changed my mind," I replied, stepping back from the seafood cart, feeling a bit perplexed by my sudden aversion. I'd never reacted this way before; I'd never been bothered by seeing food being prepared. Was it the otherworldly appearance of the octopus, or perhaps its murky color that unsettled me? "Let's find something else to eat."

"Sure, no problem," Jason agreed, understanding my hesitation. We scanned the other carts, and my mouth watered at the sight of freshly cut fruit in cups from one vendor.

"Jason, I want those," I declared, pointing excitedly. We approached the cart to examine the selection.

"Hi there! Interested in some fruit?" the seller greeted us warmly. "We've got a variety, some imported from tropical countries."