Chapter 25: Make-over

Caelus's PoV

It's been days since I announced my resignation, an unexpected event that reverberated through the corporate world, capturing headlines and sparking curiosity from many quarters, including the press.

Despite the clamor for explanations, I feel no urge to justify my decision, casually declining interview requests. Fortunately, I retain possession of my office, though the need to replace the nameplate grates on me. I reluctantly inspect the new one:

Caelus Strait. Chief Operating Officer.

The sight ignites a surge of frustration; I contemplate discarding it but opt to leave it in its place. Just then, Mirabel enters.

"Sir Caelus, Jenny Dobre from the Sun Gazette News is still pursuing that interview," she reports.

"For the umpteenth time, the answer remains no."

"I understand, Sir," she acknowledges.

"Also, decline all press invitations," I instructed firmly.

"Will do, Sir," she replies before exiting. Turning my chair to face the cityscape, I brood over recent events, having spent days consulting with a Private Investigator recommended by Layla. Impatience gnaws at me.

"Enjoying the view?" a familiar voice interrupts my reverie. I swivel to confront my stepbrother, Carl.

"What do you want now?" I inquired icily, met with his smug grin.

"Even after everything, you still treat me like dirt," he observes, provoking a wry smile from me.

"I commend your audacity in seizing the opportunity," I remark.

"You fell for it hook, line, and sinker."

"A crude ploy."

"Yet, undeniably effective," he counters. "Seems the grass isn't always greener."

"Savor every moment of what you've taken," I caution. "But beware, dear stepbrother, I swear to reclaim everything."

"You're welcome to try," he taunts. "Though regaining your former glory is like finding a needle in a haystack."

"Don't underestimate me, Carl," I cautioned.

"I'm not underestimating you," he clarifies. "I'm daring you. If you dare, that is. Anyway, the party kicks off at eight tonight."

"What on earth are you talking about?" I demanded incredulously.

"The celebratory bash for our new roles in SkyHaven," he replied with a derisive tone.

"How low can you sink?" I shot back.

"I'd descend to the depths of hell to attain my desires," he retorted with a wicked grin. "This quality time with you has been delightful, Caelus... but duty calls. I'll catch you later."

With that, he exited, leaving me to grapple with my emotions. After a moment, the intercom buzzed. "Sir Caelus, Layla Jang is here to see you. Shall I send her in?"

"Layla? What brings her here?" I mused aloud. "Yes, let her in," I replied.

Moments later, Layla entered my office.

"Layla, what a surprise!" I greeted her warmly.

"What's with the voice?" she remarked. "You don't seem thrilled to see me."

"It's not that," I assured her. "Just had a run-in with Carl."

"Again? Your brotherly bond is really thriving," she quipped, prompting an eye roll from me.