Chapter 23: Flea Market

Alon's PoV

Taking one last look at the unfinished painting, I felt a sense of satisfaction with what I'd accomplished so far. It wasn't perfect, but it was a decent start.

Afterwards, I quickly whipped up a meal for myself and prepared Tigger's cat food.

"Enjoy your dinner, Tigger," I said, placing the bowl in front of him. Watching him happily nibble away at his meal brought a smile to my face.

Settling down at the small dining table, I savored my own dinner, grateful for the simple pleasures of a good meal and the company of a contented cat.

A few days later, I made my way to the bar where Arthur and Sir Jason were employed. After speaking with the bar owner about the mural he wanted, I set out to find additional help for the project. I reached out to my former art teacher, who was able to connect me with four more artists willing to join the endeavor.

With the bar temporarily closed for renovations and our painting project, we were able to work without interruption. The days were long and exhausting, with my hands and legs growing weary from standing and the constant brushwork. Detailing was the most challenging part; one wrong stroke could mar the entire image, making corrections tricky.

Nearly a week passed before we reached the final day of painting. The bar owner paid us a visit to inspect the finished murals.

"All the paintings are complete, sir," I informed him, scanning each one for any imperfections. "Feel free to review them and ensure they meet your expectations."

As he examined the murals, I held my breath, hoping for his approval.

"They're perfect," he declared. "Exactly what I envisioned. The bar now resembles a tavern straight out of an adventure game."

Relief washed over me at his praise. "I hope the bar's reopening is a resounding success."

"Remember, avoid touching them for a couple of hours until they're fully dry," he reminded us.

"Of course. Thank you," he replied. "Now, all of you, come with me to my office."

"Yes, sir," we chorused, following him to his office. As he opened his desk drawer, he withdrew brown envelopes.

"Here are your salaries," he announced, distributing the envelopes. "And I've added a little extra for the outstanding work."

After thanking the bar owner, the group dispersed. I was about to leave when a familiar voice called out my name.

"Loony!"

Turning around, I spotted Sir Jason in the bar, despite being on vacation.

"Sir Jason, what brings you here?" I asked, surprised.

"I was at the mall earlier. One of the headphones I bought was defective, so I exchanged it and decided to drop by here," he explained, showing me the paper bag he was carrying.

"I see," I nodded.

"The place looks great," he commented, glancing around. "I'm loving the new murals on the walls."

"You do?" I replied, a hint of pride in my voice.

"Yeah, they're fantastic," he affirmed. "Anyway, are you busy today?"

"I don't think so," I replied, trying to recall any prior commitments. "Why do you ask?"

"Well, it's such a lovely day," he remarked, peering outside. "I thought maybe we could hang out."

"Huh?"

"Oh, I didn't mean it like that!" he exclaimed, seeming flustered. "I just meant grab a bite, you know, chill."