Chapter 3. CLASHES

THALDERAN'S NORTHERN PASSAGE 

Feigon's narrow eyes reflect the countless Axengard soldiers who stand opposing him on the large beach. Atop the High Priest's tall staff, Blue Wing caws. Under the torrential rain, he lowers the hood of his long robe.

Feigon: "On behalf of Ghoddrak, the great Dragon God, we call on his Covenant to defend this passage."

Feigon points his staff to the warrior beside him. Leaning on one knee, Jygar keeps his hands on the iron edge of the wooden shield, slightly buried in the ground. The heavy rain runs down his relaxed muscled arms, whose pale skin bears no scars yet.

Feigon: "Thalderan, the City of the Ancients, chose Jygar to guard its gates."

Jygar stands up. Smoothly, he draws his sword and raises his shield. At the head of Axengard's army, its Priestess, Lissa, dressed in her soft blue robe, has a staff in hand, and Glacia, her white owl, perched on her shoulder. Her big green eyes meet Feigon's in a mixture of affection and embarrassment.

Lissa: "So it will be! Vallur, best warrior of Axengard, against Jygar, Dragon Champion of the Sacred City."

Nearby her, VALLUR – very tall, extremely strong, with long shaggy hair and beard – lifts the long and heavy Ancestral Star Axe with both hands.

Feigon: "To the victor, the choice: peace or war."

Lissa: "Then, in the eyes of the Dragon God, may the battle begin!"

Vallur roars as he sprints forward to attack. Jygar jumps and turns his body to intercept his running with a reverse roundhouse sweep that knocks his opponent flat on his face. The champion of Axengard pushes himself up and charges again. Jygar evades the powerful blows until a strike pounds his shield so hard that he is thrown back through the air. But the defender of Thalderan lands, catlike, ready to carry on with the battle.

Axengard's army cheers as Vallur lifts the axe above his head and roars. Then, he grins as he notices a small fissure in Jygar's shield.

Vallur: "Hahaha. Just one blow and your shield already cracked, little man?"

Ahead of the army, AVERNATH, a tall, blond, young man, nervously clenches his fists. Beside him, his father, General Uldresh, confidently smiles.

General Uldresh: "The Ancestral Axe, forged by the fire of the skies with the iron of the stars! For a hundred years, no man was strong enough to even lift it, son. Vallur will give us our long-desired war."

In an agile leap, Vallur brings the axe down in a hard blow. Jygar jumps back and the heavy weapon shatters a large stone on the ground. Axengard's warriors roar with enthusiasm. The Axengardian dragon warrior starts a strong horizontal blow. At full speed and strength, Jygar opens his left arm backward, slamming his shield against the legendary weapon. The axe's blade spreads fiery sparks when it clashes with the shield's metal center. Splinters cross the air under the clanging sound as the shield shatters. Jygar's hand, now free from the shield, grabs the axe's handle as he thrusts his sword into Vallur's abdomen.

The axe falls to the soft grass, the army falls silent. Its general's face contorts in frustration. But Vallur grips the hilt of Jygar's sword and stops it from penetrating deeper. With a violent punch to his enemy's chin, the Axengardian warrior throws Jygar feet away, knocking the champion of Thalderan down.

General Uldresh and his son join their army as it roars again. Vallur regains his axe and charges to Jygar, dizzy on the ground. The gigantic warrior strikes a blow capable of breaking his fallen opponent's head in two. The heavy axe swings down, unstoppable. Its blade kisses Jygar's cheek as he rolls aside. The Thalderan champion rises and lunges at Vallur's waist to grab the sword's handle and then finish the blade's plunge through his abdomen. The champion of Axengard kneels and falls face down. The tip of the sword protrudes from his back.