Chapter 6. CHALLENGES

DRAGON CAVE ENTRANCE

Five horsemen gallop under the moonlight covered by loaded dark clouds towards the great cave embedded at the Dragon Hill's foot. They slow down and stop a few yards away from the gloomy entrance, where Moon Hawk and Kaijin wait for them. All five dismount the unsettled horses and Kaijin ties the animals to a nearby tree.

At Feigon's side, Jygar speaks to Zairos, Minara, and Little Bear.

Jygar: "At the end of your paths you will find your weapons. By no means should you use them inside the cave. Thus, no weapons! Am I clear?"

Zairos and Minara nod. Little Bear just stares at Jygar, but under his mentor's harsh glare, he immediately nods with many quick and short jerks of his bald head. Moon Hawk gives Little Bear a blue-flamed torch and holds Little Bear's shoulder in a firm but gentle way.

Moon Hawk: "Here it is. Our god's flame. Inside, when you inhale the Breath of the Dragon, Ghoddrak will challenge your brotherhood... And your souls too, child. Remember that."

Minara takes a similar torch from Kaijin, who kisses her forehead.

Kaijin: "I almost lost my mind in there..."

He glances at a large scar on Moon Hawk's belly.

Kaijin: "Moon Hawk almost lost his life. Take care of yourself... and of them."

Little Bear: "Is He really in the cave?

Feigon: "I believe Ghoddrak watches us from above, but many believe He is there."

Jygar takes a torch from Feigon and hands it to Zairos.

Jygar: "You won't face your gods when you get inside, but your demons. Don't trust what you see, but what you truly are."

INSIDE THE DRAGON CAVE 

MOMENTS LATER...

Zairos, Minara, and Little Bear enter the ominous, dark cavern. Their movement creates ripples in the Breath of the Dragon, the thin, green mist that swirls around them, softly glowing under the flickering blue light of their torches. With a grimace, Little Bear covers his nose, pinching it with his fingers.

Little Bear: "What a stench!"

Minara: "I've already known worse smells. Our noses will soon get used to the Dragon's Breath. It's our minds that worry me."

They walk in silence deeper into the cave. In its end, Zairos' torch reveals three tunnels, their entrances resembling monstrous, scary open mouths full of long rock teeth.

Zairos: "One for each of us."

With no hesitation, Minara nods and heads at the entrance on the right. Little Bear turns and contorts his face as if he had seen something terrifying.

Little Bear: "The tunnel bared its teeth at me!"

Zairos: "It's just the Dragon's Breath distorting what you see."

Little Bear warily stares ahead, his eyes still full of fear. Minara walks back to her big childlike friend. She takes both of his huge hands in hers and gently pulls him down. Shy, he looks away as he leans on one knee, putting his face at the same level as hers.

Minara: "I'm also afraid. But I'm just a fragile little girl and if a huge warrior like you thinks we can't do what we have to do, I think I'll have to give up too."

The large youth stares at Minara's eyes – gentle but strong, even bluer before the torches' sapphire flames – and rallies his own courage and confidence. He cannot disappoint her or Jygar or his other Dragon friends.