Chapter 7. BURNING FLAMES

DRAGON GOD HILL 

A heavy storm hits the low hill. The surrounding trees sway in the strong wind. The grassy ground unsuccessfully tries to absorb the torrential rain. The storm's fury seems to pay a tribute to the rigor and thoroughness of the young warriors' seven years training. In the shadows, a dragon – head raised, wings spread – lurks, unmoving, on the top of the hill. A lightning bolt reveals it to be an iron statue, at the head of an altar. Neatly placed upon it, are the heavy war hammer, the twin short swords, and the sword and shield set.

Kneeling one knee, the three older Dragons and the three younger ones stare at Feigon, before them.

Feigon: "...one man will die in every battle."

Minara whispers to Zairos.

Minara: "Or woman."

He whispers back.

Zairos: "No, not a woman. You'll never die because I'll never let it happen."

Minara smiles.

Little Bear: "Shhh!"

Feigon: "The sacrifice of a great warrior in exchange for the freedom and the lives of countless innocents."

Feigon kneels before the altar and pours a thick, bluish liquid on the weapons while uttering an ancient prayer. Lightning hits the altar. Sparks race about the iron dragon's eyes and mouth, in a spectacle at once beautiful and fearsome. The oil on the altar burns, raising on the weapons a soft bluish flame.

Feigon: "Ghoddrak, the Dragon God, has blessed his warriors again!"

Feigon smears his ceremonial dagger with the same oil and an azure fire engulfs his blade. The High Priest gestures to Kaijin to stand up and approach the altar. With a ceremonial reverence, Kaijin picks up the double swords and hands them to Minara. Little Bear accepts the hammer from Moon Hawk.

Zairos gets the sword and shield from Jygar. Feigon hands the blazing dagger to Minara. She uses it to cut Zairos' left palm in a slightly curved vertical slash. Little Bear takes the flaming dagger to complete the symbol with a horizontal cut, making a curved blood cross in his friends' hand. Minara and Little Bear also receive the same cut from their companions, the same scarlet cross drawn in their hands.

The three young Dragons extend their bloody palms to Feigon. He pours the bluish liquid onto their hands and with the flaming dagger, ignites the blue flame on their palms. The flames become brighter on the blood crosses. They stretch their hands up until they touch, unharmed by the fire, uniting the young warriors' blood. The bluish blaze engulfs their hands.

Feigon: "By the Blood and by the Fire of the Dragon, you are brothers. You are Storm Dragons!"

Lightning flares through the skies and the thunder roars. The heavy rain beats the faces of the young dragons as they stare at their flaming hands extended to the heavens. Behind distant trees, mounted on his black stallion on higher ground, Night Eye watches them with rage and disdain. In an impulsive move, he gets ready to throw his spear. Despite the distance, he takes aim at Zairos, then at Minara, and smiles. Under the glow of lightning and the sound of thunder, Blue Wing flies low over his horse's head, scaring it. The animal rears up and its rider struggles not to fall. When he recovers, he notices Feigon and the Dragons staring his way. He beats a hasty retreat across the trees.

RED ROAD 

Under the torrential rain, night becomes darker and darker. Night Eye gallops at full speed on the road that cuts through the woods linking Thalderan to Darkhforst.