Chapter 8. WINDS OF CHANGE

3 MONTHS LATER...

TEMPLE OF THE DRAGONS TRAINING FIELD

The sun is high in the sky. The sandy ground of the training field reflects the heat waves. Drops of sweat sizzle and disappear as soon as they hit the earth. Zairos, sword and shield, faces Minara, double swords. Jygar spars with Little Bear and Kaijin with Moon Hawk. Minara delivers a series of blows, which Zairos parries with effort. She stops suddenly, her face contorting. The beautiful warrior crouches and bows her head.

Zairos: "Hey, what happened?"

Minara frowns.

Minara: "Nothing."

She sits on a grassy area, panting with a pallid face. Zairos sits at her side and holds Minara's hands in his.

Zairos: "You have been different lately."

Minara: "So have you."

Zairos: "I have unfinished work to--"

Minara: "Will you never let it go? Revenge is always a fool's errand. It cannot be more important to you than us, than all of us."

Zairos: "Night Eye killed my father!"

Minara: "And? All of us are orphans. We all have tragedies in our lives."

He turns and lowers his head.

Minara: "Look at Little Bear."

A few yards away, Little Bear stops fighting and smiles at them. Jygar slaps his ear and they continue to spar.

Minara: "The poor boy's parents were killed by bears. He and his older brother were raised by those bears. Those same bears!"

Zairos: "Then his brother and new bear mother were killed by hunters and Sister Wolf found him. What this relates to--"

Minara: "He's always happy. Always grateful for having a new family, for having the sacred mission of--"

Zairos: "Peace? With him alive? Did you forget he's the Immortal?"

Minara: "Don't use an old prophecy to pretend your revenge is a mission of peace. Please don't."

Minara stands and goes away. With lost eyes, Zairos just watches her.

RED ROAD

Among the trees, the light of the full moon joins with the many stars to bathe Zairos and Orgath atop their horses on the roadside.

Orgath: "I will gather my men and go with you."

Zairos: "It would break the Covenant."

Orgath: "Should I believe you fear that old legend?"

Zairos: "Ghoddrak watches us, Orgath."

Orgath: "And what would happen? Would he descend from the Heavens to destroy us?"

Zairos: "Maybe."

Orgath: "Damned dragonshit, you are wise enough to not believe in those children's stories! Then I will tell you exactly what would happen. War! And what's more, it would be the war we long for."

Zairos: "You don't wish to go to war with all the cities in all nations united against the one who dared to defy the Dragon God."

Orgath: "I know, you're right... but you can join Axengard as my champion! We can march together against Darkhforst and Night Eye. Our old plan!"

Zairos: "A child's plan! Who would I have to defeat to cross Thalderan? Little Bear? Jygar? Minara?"

Embarrassed, the Axengard's heir lowers his head.