Chapter 18. FALLS

SEVEN YEARS LATER...

GULDWUDS TOWN ENTRANCE

In the verdant glade surrounded by small campfires in front of the little town entrance, Shadow Snake stays motionless, his forearms crossed over his waist while his hands lightly rest on the heels of his sheathed swords. Guldwuds' army stands in formation behind his champion. Before him, stand Sacred Oak, the Regent Priest, and Orgath, with the Axengard army in his rear.

Orgath: "Centuries of yearning for war and, again, you call on the Covenant to avoid it? I know your people are weak and repulsive, but cowards?"

Sacred Oak: "You are the coward! Wait until our warriors are healed from the plague and I will give you the greatest war you ever have dreamed."

Orgath: "My apologies. I want my war now."

Shadow Snake: "Then I'll send you back, with all your army. For the seventh time!"

Orgath: "Lissa! Begin the ceremony."

The AXENGARD DRAGON – teenager, athletic, straight black hair in a long braid – waits on his knees for the battle's beginning. His heavy breathing muffles Sacred Oak and Lissa's voice. His almond eyes are closed as he lowers his perturbed face. His mind brings him to the day in which Minara and Nairon were killed around Moon Hawk's grave.

Confusing and turbulent images crowd his thoughts. In them, side by side, all of the Storm Dragons' face, Night Eye's warriors. In these unreal, fragmented memories, the Axengard Dragon sees Zairos and Minara battle with the aid of an unexpected warrior – Kaijin!

The young warrior returns to the present time when Shadow Snake unsheathes his twin swords. The Axengard Dragon instantly stands up, with short twin swords of the same kind, ready for action. The double blades clash with those of the enemy in a cacophonous whirlwind of blows. They slide, linked in a deadly dance of skillful moves under the sound of their metallic friction. Sparkles emerge from the swords as the combat intensifies. The old warrior attacks with all he has, but his adversary knows how to deflect each blow. Shadow Snake is exhausted and retreats, surprised.

Shadow Snake: "Your weapons, your moves. Who taught you, boy?"

Axengard's new champion stands silently, weapons on guard. Guldwuds' Dragon steps forward. They are in range for the attack, both with their swords in parallel, at waist level, pointing to the opponent. For a second the old champion seems distracted, his adversary takes the chance and charges in a thrusting strike.

Shadow Snake smiles, it was just a trick to make the young warrior open his guard. The former Storm Dragon deflects the attack and counters with the same move. The tip of Shadow Snake's blade enters the enemy's flesh near the shoulder. But that was the real trap! In a sudden movement, the Axengard Dragon cuts the wrist of his astonished opponent, and then plunges his other sword straight into his heart.

Axengard Dragon: "War!"

Jygar's old master collapses as the Champion of Axengard removes his blade. Sacred Oak mounts his horse. Orgath smiles at him.

Orgath: "See you at Darkhforst, priest. Enjoy your last days as a regent. Or even better, just enjoy your last days."

With hatred in his eyes, Sacred Oak gallops toward Darkhforst. The Axengard's General raises his axe, pointing it to the small opposing army.

Orgath: "War!"

The powerful army of Axengard roars as it advances against Guldwuds' sick and weakened warriors. The armies clash, but under these circumstances, it is not a battle, but a massacre. Orgath's men slaughter his outnumbered opponents in a ruthless carnage.