Chapter 16. NEMESIS

RED ROAD

Mounted on their horses, Orgath and Zairos lead the powerful Axengard's army. An old gift swings again at the chest of the new champion of the Northern People: the silver medallion, the wolf with emerald eyes.

Orgath: "The Forest People also want the war, so no duel at the Darkhforst's gates, but the only path to get there is through a city pacified by Feigon in the past. They have a champion and will try to use The Covenant to stop us."

Zairos: "No one will stop me, Orgath. No one!"

AXENGARD'S WAR CAMP

Alone and expressionless, Zairos stares at the campfire crackling in front of him. Orgath approaches with two wine filled mugs, sits beside his friend, and gives one to him.

Orgath: "Drink it! You'll feel better."

With his face and eyes frozen, Zairos inattentively accepts the mug, but doesn't drink.

Orgath: "Guldwuds will be our only challenge before Darkhforst. It's just a village with a small army. Their champion was a former Storm Dragon, but he's quite old and certainly not a match for you."

Zairos: "I know him. Shadow Snake. A great warrior. A noble man. He was Jygar's master. The master of my master."

Zairos throws the mug in the fire and goes away. Orgath, upset, remains drinking in front of the campfire.

GULDWUDS ENTRANCE

The Axengard army arrives at a clearing that ends in a small road. Guldwuds' army stands in front of it. At the road's end, after the large trees of golden foliage, stands their small town. Orgath, Lissa and Zairos head to their respective counterparts: the general, the GULDWUD'S PRIESTESS, wearing a white and blu robe with a golden pheasant on her shoulder, and the TOWN'S CHAMPION. The warrior is farther away, praying on his knees with his face hidden by the shield on which his hands lean.

Orgath shows surprise as he sees the silhouette of the man chosen to fight against Zairos. He inquisitively looks at the Guldwuds' Priestess.

Orgath: "He's not your old Dragon! Where is Shadow Snake? Is your graybeard champion scared?"

The priestess' macaw darts off, cawing as it flies over the mysterious champion behind the shield. Then, the firm and powerful voice that Orgath had heard so many times along the past years reaches his ears with the strength of thunder.

Town's Champion: "My old master gave me the honor to fight in his place."

The warrior rises and walks toward them, revealing his identity. The champion is Jygar. Frozen, Zairos and Orgath look at the legendary warrior. Ahead of Guldwuds' army, SHADOW SNAKE, a black warrior with a strong but slim body and braided hair, nods with pride to Jygar, who nods back at him. Orgath faces the Storm Dragon's leader.

Orgath: "What the hell..."

Unaffected, without even looking at the young General, Jygar uses one hand to push him aside, throwing him to the ground as he keeps heading at Zairos.

Jygar: "Your revenge would take thousands of lives in this war, Zairos. I can't permit that."

Orgath yells at Zairos.

Orgath: "Jygar betrayed us!"

Jygar keeps all of his attention on his apprentice.

Jygar: "Orgath does not want revenge. He only wants power."