Chapter 14. TORMENTS

4 YEARS LATER...

DARKHFORST CITY

A falcon crossess the black sky, approaching the many houses, harmoniously interspersed among the treetops and branches of the uncountable leafy trees surrounding Darkhforst. It flies over a big clearing. At its center lies an impressive formation made of huge interwoven trees, surrounded by big torches. The imposing bird dives toward a big round window in its top and in a few seconds, enters the structure through it.

SPIRIT'S HALL

The falcon spreads its wings as it soars over a group of natives in the large, tall room. They play a spooky percussion sound as they tap their leather drums in a frantic rhythm. Night Eye is one of the drummers. In the midst of the hall, before a lit pyre, Sacred Oak, eyes closed, swings, as if entranced by the drums' music. The bird seems to also be in a trance as it dives toward the pyre. It caws as it thumps the pyre, spreading the burning firewood on the floor. The drum's rhythm intensifies.

The Regent Priest opens his eyes, still in a trance. The falcon lands on his right arm, its claws tearing his skin, but he remains unaffected. Then, he grabs one of the fallen logs and seems not to feel the fire still crackling in the wood as he gazes at the flames with vacant eyes.

Sacred Oak: "The Dragon God will be challenged again. The covenant will be broken!"

The drums stop. Night Eye grins.

THALDERAN'S NORTHERN PASSAGE

The sun hides behind the clouds, over the distant and silent sea. A great flat stone with the figure of a hawk carved in it marks the place where Moon Hawk is buried. Seated next to the grave, Little Bear drinks and eats like a glutton as Jygar chats to him. Zairos and Orgath have a mug of wine as they watch Minara, with Zairos' long sword and shield set, training Nairon. Twin swords in hands, he moves with all the energy of a strong boy in the full vigor of his eleven years of age. Nairon attacks his mother with a rapid sequence of skilled strikes. She proudly smiles as she defends her son's blows.

Orgath: "Through all these years, I thought about what happened in the funeral several times, you know? And I never apologized for what I did and said that day."

Zairos: "Forget it. It was a difficult time. You are my brother and that's what matters. I'm glad you're here today."

Orgath gives his friend a half-smile, embarrassed. Nairon performs some powerful and agile moves, catching his attention.

Orgath: "Hey, look at your son. He's good, very good. If he continues on this way, he'll be better than you. Much better."

Zairos: "He still has a lot to learn, but I have to admit, the kid learns fast."

Orgath: "Very fast... It's a pity the age of the Storm Dragons will be over before he becomes one of you."

Zairos: "It's not a pity, my friend. Sunphire declined the duels and since you are the leader of Axengard, you have never sent a champion against me. My gratitude for that."

Orgath presses his lips with a nod. The champion of Thalderan holds the general by his shoulders.

Zairos: "Seems the Three Nations won't need the champions of Thalderan anymore to have peace among them. Now, only Darkhforst continues the challenges. But I believe that soon they will understand how senseless their war wishes ar--"

Orgath: "It's just about these damned bastards I'm talking about. Darkhforst is preparing a great army. There are rumors they will disrespect the Covenant."