Chapter 11. THE BEGINNING OF THE END

THREE YEARS LATER...

THALDERAN'S MAIN PLAZA

A starry sky and a shining moon illuminate the night of the Dragons Festival. Drizzle falls over a diverse crowd, made of mixed people from the Three Nations, gathered around a large suspended wooden arena. Torches are spread around casting the flickering light of their flames to the stage. The old and the new Storm Dragons cross the path, parted for them in the middle of the excited mob. The People of Thalderan love their heroes, their peace warriors. They cheer as their champions head to the central platform.

Perched happily on Orgath's shoulders, a boy with shining almond blue eyes. Nairon, now seven years old, grins at his father, who smiles back as he starts to climb onto the stand. Another smile meets the boy when Minara, just behind Zairos, waves to her son. Nairon waves back. The warrior woman keeps smiling as her eyes meet Orgath's.

He gazes at her with a silly happy expression, while he contemplates Minara's beauty. The long hair adorning her face and those fascinating Sunphirean blue eyes show the most enchanting smile he has ever seen. Her legs, strong like the rest of her body, move in a harmonious counterpoint to her delicate feminine curves as she heads toward the stage.

On the platform, Zairos touches Minara's shoulder. The sight of his friend at her side breaks Orgath's semi-trance. His body shivers as if awaking from a good dream. Embarrassed, the Axengardian General bites his own lips and looks away.

Orgath gets tapped in the head and looks at the perpetrator on his shoulders. Nairon points effusively at a BOY in the crowd. The Boy has blue Sunphirean eyes like Nairon's and, overall, bears a strong resemblance to him. The young General turns up to look at Nairon and then at the Boy. He scans them again to compare their faces and he is impressed. Noticing their restlessness, the Boy looks at Nairon and opens his mouth, surprised by their resemblance. The three of them grin.

As if announcing the spectacle, lightning and thunder make the trio turn their attention back to the platform again. Eyes turned to the sky, weapons in hand, the Dragons stand, split in pairs: Zairos and Minara, Jygar and Little Bear, Moon Hawk and Kaijin. The crowd mutes. An ELDER points to an increasingly shining point that has been revealed from behind the clouds that covered it a moment ago.

Elder: "Look! The Dragon God!"

Feigon, the Storm Dragons, and the crowd kneel, heads lowered in veneration as the light intensifies. Orgath is the only one who remains upright. Shaking his head, he looks at the comet and talks to himself.

Orgath: "It's not a god."

Feigon touches his shoulder with his staff. He turns towards the high priest.

Feigon: "No, it's just one of his signs."

They stay on their knees for a few minutes, until the light starts to fade as the comet moves away in the sky. On the stage, Jygar stands and announces.

Jygar: "Ghoddrak blessed us again. Then, may the battle begin!"

Applauses and roars. The people stand up in their utter excitement. It is a presentation of battle skills of the Thalderan's heroes. The Storm Dragons start their exhibition, fighting their pairs. Thrilled, the audience cheers on each blow as they become faster and more intense. Among the mob, a young, gorgeous and dark-skinned MYSTERIOUS WOMAN covers her lips with a thick paste. Then she gets a small bottle and uses a thin brush to spread its content on her lips: a green liquid. Hidden in the crowd, a hooded figure watches her. Under the hood, leers an evil grin and a frightening whitish eye as she heads at the stage.

The Storm dragons make a great show of their combat abilities. The multitude of onlookers ecstatically applauds their performance. The dragons share smiles as they exchange blows. A fun time for everyone. Suddenly, the Mysterious Woman leaps on the platform. She moves straight toward Zairos. Surprised, he stops fighting Minara. The beautiful newcomer woman holds his arms. He freezes as she moves in for a kiss on his lips. They are about to touch when the girl's head moves abruptly backwards. Minara continues pulling her by the hair and a few steps after throws the Mysterious Woman to the stage floor, between Kaijin and Moon Hawk.