Chapter 13. BEASTS & BEARS

TEMPLE OF THE DRAGONS TRAINING FIELD

Zairos looks at the two silhouettes against the crescent moon. The huge one, Little Bear, stares at the shining circle in the sky. The second one, Feigon, puts a hand over Little Bear's shoulder and turns to Zairos. They walk to meet in between. The old priest holds the young dragon's forearm.

Feigon: "He needs you. Just do what has to be done."

Zairos reaches Little Bear and sees tears on his face.

Little Bear: "I need you to replace me... to kill... my brother."

Zairos: "I heard Darkhforst, or rather, Night Eye chose Werebeast as his champion for the duel tomorrow."

Little Bear: "Don't call him that. He's not a beast. He's my brother, I still love him. It's not his fault. None of it. I cannot fight him, but someone has to."

Zairos: "And about the rule of the same ethnicity in the duels?"

Little Bear: "Sister Wolf left our order and fled into the forest, so that she'd not have to duel the woman she loved, remember?"

Zairos: "Yes. And also to not have to look every day at the dragon companion that killed her, the man she also loved... But you can't leave us!"

Little Bear: "I won't... if you help me show to everyone I'm wounded and unable to fight."

Little Bear rests his hand on a rock and glances at his war hammer.

Zairos: "No, no. Are you crazy? We can fake it... right?"

Little Bear: "No, a Storm Dragon never lies! What would Ghoddrak think of us?"

Zairos huffs and shakes his head.

Zairos: "You're right... Just promise me you'll still look at me as your dragon brother after this."

Little Bear: "Just don't break it."

Zairos nods, lifts the heavy weapon, sighs. Then he brings down the hammer. Little Bear screams.

THALDERAN'S SOUTHERN PASSAGE

The road through the dense forest gives way to a great open camp. The grassy ground and the foliage of the trees dance with the wind, as the bright moon bathes the southern passage in a pearly glow. Behind Zairos, at Jygar's side, Little Bear holds the wrist of his very swollen left hand as he watches Blue Wing soar over Night Eye and his uncle, Sacred Oak. Slim and with his naked upper body painted, the regent priest wears his gem and feathers headdress and his tooth necklace. His FALCON lies on his arm protected by a straw bracelet. Facing the High Priest of Thalderan he ends the ritual to allow the start of the battle.

Werebeast opens his arms and roars. He bends and leans his brass knuckles on the ground to start walking like a bear. He growls as he slowly approaches Zairos. The gigantic man speeds up and the duel begins. The two champions exchange fast blows, many of which are blocked. Others cut the flesh of both opponents. It seems an endless battle, where the winner is unpredictable.

Panting, they pause for a few seconds, their blood splattered over their bodies. Werebeast charges again with a roundhouse blade attack. Zairos ducks and hits his ribs with the shield's border, making the huge adversary bow, exposing his neck to him. Thalderan's champion raises the sword, ready to deliver a lethal strike.

Little Bear: "Noooo!"

For a split-second, Zairos moves his head towards his rival's brother. Enough for Werebeast to recover and hit his chin in an ascending blow. The impact of the brass knuckles almost breaks Zairos' jaw, stunning him. This time, it's the huge warrior who prepares a mortal blast.