Silver Springs

In the morning, Hermione emerged from their tent with her hand in Draco's.

Everyone was around the fire, making conversation with one another (except for Lavender, who always sat alone), their breakfasts already finished. The air smelled like smoke and rich, black coffee. Something about it wrapped around her, soothed her.

"How are you feeling?" Pansy asked, her smile simple but eyes bright with concern. Hermione assumed she'd heard her and Draco last night, but if anyone could keep quiet in their group, it was Pansy.

"Much better." Hermione answered, and she meant it.

"I, um, actually want to ask something of you all."

Everyone, including Lavender, perked up.

Draco squeezed her hand, her supporter in every way.

Hermione said, grateful that her voice didn't shake. "I'd like us all to make a pact."

"What kind of pact?" Luna asked, her head titled like a cat. There was no judgment, just curiosity.

"A pact that what we have all done here, it'll stay with us." Draco answered. "That if, by some miracle we all survive, we don't breathe a word of what we've done."

"Why?" Lavender asked, her eyes narrowed.

"Because we don't know what the Ministry will think of murdering teenagers." Pansy looked at Hermione and Draco, and he nodded once.

Hermione and Draco had spoken about it as they drifted off to sleep. Each of them needed to agree that they wouldn't use one another's stories and traumas as leverage or evidence. The more that happened to them, the more killing and torture that they went through, the more important it became that they would have each others backs.

"Well I'll keep my mouth shut." Pansy smirked. "I'd rather not be sent to Azkaban for some of the things I've done."

"Me too." Zabini said as he stood. Neville and Theo nodded in agreement.

"I won't say anything." Luna pretended to zip her mouth closed.

Everyone turned to Lavender. She crossed her arms.

"What?" She demanded.

"What do you mean 'what'?" Pansy turned her focus on her. "You're the only one who hasn't agreed to keep your mouth shut."

"Because I'm not going to."

A pause. Then-

"What did you say?" Hermione's voice was low.

"I said I'm not contributing to your pact." Lavender looked at each of them. "If we're rescued and questioned I won't lie. The Ministry will understand. Besides,I didn't murder any classmates."

Draco pinched the bridge of his nose. "You think the Ministry that ignored Voldemort's return for a year is going to suddenly be fair and unbiased? We could be tried as war criminals. We could all be given the kiss, if they really hate what happened here."

"Don't be a stupid bitch, Lilac." Pansy hissed.

"It's Lavender."

"I don't care about that- I don't care about anything other than you agreeing not to fucking tattle."

Lavender looked around then, and seemed to realize that with George gone, she had no allies. She was only still here because death would be guaranteed if they threw her outside the wards.

Lavender swallowed.

"Okay. Fine. I won't talk."

Hermione knew she was only saving face so Pansy wouldn't slap her, but there wasn't anything else for them to do outside of an Unbreakable Vow, and Hermione wasn't sure if that was the right route.

All of them being rescued seemed futile and unrealistic, anyhow.

For a brief, terrible moment Hermione wondered if she even wanted to go back to reality, if she would even survive the weight of it.