Chapter 18: Eighteen Candles

I'm a little late today. Woah, whoever's locker that is, it looks crazy. Hold on. That's my locker. There's a sign on it that says happy birthday, streamer, stickers, it's like Party City threw up on it. In a good way though. When I open it balloons escape it. "Surprise!" Caroline yells. "Care!" I say and give her a big hug. Bonnie, Jer, Elena, and Stefan are all around her too. "You guys! Thank you, this is so sweet." I say pulling away from the hug. Bonnie hands me a bag. "There's no way you had time to get me anything." I say taking the bag, and giving Bonnie a quick hug. "Caroline went out and picked everything up and we all just chipped in." Elena tells me. "Even Jer?" I say, suspiciously. "Hey, we're friends." He says defensively. I open the bag to see a cute new shirt, a pair of earrings, and a card. I place the bag down and open the card. Inside they've all signed and left cute little notes. Well the girls left cute little notes. The card says happy seventeenth. Oops. I never told them that i'm turning eighteen.

There's a fifteen dollar gift card to the coffee shop in town. "Aw, thanks guys." I say then give everyone a hug. "But, um... I'm eighteen actually." I place the bag in my locker and shove the balloons back in. "after my parents died my grades went to crap so that's why I'm still a junior." I explain quickly. "Not to kill the mood, but Katherine's out of the tomb." Stefan sighs. "What?" I say. "Yeah, we're dealing with it, alright? Just be extra careful. She's gotten a little too good at impersonating Elena." He explains. "With Katherine still around, we gotta find a way to get your powers back." Jeremy says to Bonnie. Oh yeah she told me Dr. Martin took her powers away, after she kinda tortured his son to get information.

"Listen, I want to get the Martins on our side. I wanna figure out a way for us to all work together now that Elijah's out of the picture." Stefan says. "It's impossible. They hate us." Bonnie tells him. "It's either win them over or somebody's gonna end up dead. You think you can at least convince them to have a civil conversation?" Stefan asks her. "If I'm there I bet I can get them to listen." I say." "thanks. Keep me posted." Stefan says, and walks off to class. "I'll see you guys later." I say and head to Alaric's class. Elena texted me and said he wanted to talk to me about something. Weird, but okay.

When I enter he tells me the things John has been up to which is just causing havoc and trying to ruin his and Jenna's relationship. "It was bad, you know, John planted all these seeds about Isobel, and now Jenna knows I'm lying about something." He paces. "John's gonna end up dead on the kitchen floor if he's not careful." I say, leaning on his desk. "Yeah, well, easier said than done. I gave him back his ring. So…" I look at him like he's stupid. Why in the world would he give him back the ring? "Look, Jenna keeps asking about Isobel. You know, was she murdered? Why haven't they found the body? I mean how much longer can she stay in the dark?" He stresses. "You think we should tell her everything? She knows vampires are real but, not everything else."
"I'm saying I can't be with her and not tell her. It's not fair to her, and it's not the kind of relationship I want."
"Not to mention it's becoming more dangerous for her not to know. I just thought that we'd at least hold off until after we've dealt with Klaus."
"Look, I'm sorry to put this on you. But I feel it's your decision to make. And whatever you decide to do, I'll respect it. I wanna be honest with her. But until then… Jenna and I are done." He says sorrowful.

After school Bonnie, Stefan, and I meet up with the Martins at the Grill. "Thank you for coming." Stefan says to Dr. Martin as he and his son approach our table. "I didn't want to. But my son made a case to hear you out. Hello, Lorelai." He says. "Hi, Dr." I say as we all take a seat. "Bonnie said that you have information about Elijah." Luka says. Stefan takes in a breath, "Elijah's dead. I'm sorry." We all share glances. Dr. Martin stands up to leave. "Hear him out. We can help you, please." I say to him quickly. He obliges and sits back down. "We know that Klaus has your daughter. I'm sorry about the way I had to get that information bit it's good that we know. We can all work together to get her back." Bonnie says. "How?" Luka snaps. "I suspect you and Elijah had a plan to kill Klaus. Let us help you carry it out." Stefan replies. "You can trust us. I give you my word. We all do." I say to Dr. Martin. Pleading with my eyes. He tells us that there is no weapon and that they believe that if a witch can channel enough power they should be able to kill him. He made eye contact with me when he referenced the channeling bit. Ain't no way in hell I'm doing that. Bonnie can do it.