Twenty-two

I spent the entire ride to my apartment paranoid and fidgety. I'm sure the driver thought I was on something, but I was too wrapped up in my thoughts to care about him. I debated whether I should bring it up to the guys or not but what if it was a joke? Who could possibly know already and who could this person be? Here come the questions.

"We've arrived Ms. Porter" he announced with a raised voice, he must have already repeated it earlier.

"Oh, thank you."

"Would you like me to help you with your bag?"

"No, I got it but thanks" He watched me climb out the car and enter my building before pulling off. I looked around the outside before taking the elevator to my floor. Every sound made me look in the direction it came from, and every person looked suspicious.

I closed my apartment door and leaned on it, exhaling deeply. I needed to get a grip and not let some creepy text get me so out of sorts. I dropped my bag and kicked off my shoes.

"Ami?" Lisa called from her bedroom.

"Yeah?"

"Hey, I wasn't expecting you back already." she said, opening the door and poking her head out, long ponytail swaying from her motion. "How'd it go with Mr. Rapper?"

"Good, it was good, I mean our time together was good."

"I hope so, you stayed an extra night" she smirked then straightened her lips "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, just a little tired" I gave her a small smile to ease her worry. "What are you doing at home? I half expected you to be out with Dani."

"I'm working actually, trying to finish a project and she said she wasn't feeling well so I sent her care package and we agreed to spend the next few days apart."

"Oh okay, I hope she's feeling better soon."

"Me too, when she gets sick it gets bad so I'm hoping it's something fleeting but I've been checking on her periodically so she can rest up as much as possible." she explained, stretching her back and neck. "I was just about to order take out; do you want anything?"

"Hmm I'm not hungry now, I ate at his house, but short ribs sounds good" I answered, peeling off my jacket and hanging it on the hooks near the door. "I'm going to watch tv so I'll get the food when it arrives so you can keep working."

"Thank you" she gave me a finger -heart then disappeared back into her room. I made myself comfortable on the low sitting couch and turned on the tv. I tried to focus on the large screen in front of me but the small one from my bag taunted me.

I got up to get it and fell back on the sofa, reading the messages again and decided to send it to Namjoon privately. I didn't want the others to worry if it wasn't a big deal, but it was too specific to be completely nothing. I waited anxiously for him to see it and replay, biting my lip. When three minutes passed and he still hasn't texted me back I decided to force it to the back of my mind, he was probably busy now and wouldn't see it for hours. I put my phone face down on the coffee table and found a show to watch. Halfway through the first episode the bell rang, so I went to answer the door, checking the peephole first seeing a tall, slim delivery boy who looked to be high school aged.

When I opened the door his eye doubled in size and nearly popped out of his head. "Hi, for Da-ni?" he just nodded, but he made no move to give me the bag. "The food is already paid for."

"Oh. Yes, here"

"Thank you"

"Your Korean is so good" he blurted.

"Thank you again" I dipped my head and retreated slowly behind the door and watched him through the peephole.

The click of the door interrupted his trance, and he dragged his hand down his face. "Waahh, so pretty" he expressed with his eyes still wide as if he couldn't believe what he saw which made me giggle quietly.

"Is the foo- oh, it is" she answered her own question by looking at my hand "What are you doing?" she asked seeing me at the door laughing while looking out the peephole.

"Delivery kid is freaking out after seeing me" she snorted and pushed me aside to see and giggled before opening the door.

"Yah! What are you still doing here?"

"Sorry, sorry! He hurried off but kept glancing back at our door. I couldn't help laughing, he hasn't seen many, if any, Black people in real life. She closed the door again and headed towards the living room.

"He would've stood there all day if you let him," she said, sitting on the floor and pulling off the containers. "Ooh this smells good, I can't wait to dig.

"It was cute and funny, and he said I was pretty" she only rolled her eyes and opened a pack of wooden chopsticks, taking a steamed dumpling and dipping into the accompanying sauce before sticking the whole thing in her mouth. Dani motioned with her stick for me to take one, so I did. "Thanks"

"Mm." She sat with me to eat before going back to work, leaving me alone with my thoughts again so I returned to the show I was watching, trying really hard to not look at my phone.

Watching television in a trance worked for a few hours, I'd managed to forget about the ominous text until my phone rang and I jumped with a start. With my hand over my thumping heart, I answered "Hello."

"I just saw your message, when did that happen?" Namjoon's voice was shaky and that made me nervous.

"Literally, as soon as I left the dorm this morning. I don't know how anyone could know this soon. I've only been to the company once was I was extra careful."

"Fuck" he sighed, and I could hear him dragging his hand over his face in frustration. "Okay, let's see if this is even legit first. It might just be someone pranking us to see if he freak out. I'm sending it to Sejin and our security team to investigate it more. How are you feeling?"

"A little spooked if I'm being honest. I hoped it was one of the guys messing with me but stamped out that idea as quickly as I had thought of it" I answered, chewing the inside of my cheek.

"Would make it a lot less intimidating if it was. Try not to worry too much, okay? Whoever this person is probably doesn't have proof of anything" Always the leader, trying to shoulder the load while offering comfort to others. "Are you at home?"

"Yes, I've been here since I left you all." Although I didn't know what would happen, talking to Namjoon made me feel better. "How's your day so far, you must be busy."

"Yeah, Hoba gave us a ten-minute break from dance practice, so I popped into the bathroom and now I'm hiding in my studio for the next 4 minutes" I chuckled. I talked to him for the rest of his break.

After the phone call I was able to relax more but not fully, in the back of my mind were all the possibilities of the anonymous texter. I shook the worrisome thought from my mind and focused on the show until I had completed the season. By that time, the sun was long gone, and the sky was deep blue, almost black and I was ready to get in my bed. I didn't see or hear from Dani since she was so busy with work the whole time, so I let her know I was going to me room for the night. Settled into my bed after a quick shower to help me relax, I switched between Instagram and TikTok until I fell asleep at nearly two in the morning.

💙 Lola's Note: Long time no see 👋🏾