Chapter Six

After he went back inside the house Ben did take a nap which he really never did as a general rule even on a weekend day. He took the nap in his second story bedroom which overlooked the glorious rose garden although his damn leg steadily protested the walk upstairs even more than usual. His uncle , Henry and Pamela had all at various times in his life nagged him about moving his bedroom downstairs to either the study or the dining room so it was easier on himself and his physical limitations. He refused. He never wanted what was easy. He was in some cases like his uncle. He wanted to be normal although he never planned on skydiving or rock climbing. He just wanted to be normal. That was all he ever had wanted to be. He used to write letters to Santa Claus growing up and the only thing he ever asked for was a face without scars and a working leg so he could stop being laughed at and play Little League with Henry.

He slept in his beloved bedroom in his double bed , holding his pillow and wearing his favorite Snoopy PJs , the window open to let in a bit of breeze and fresh air. His dreams were invaded by a certain new neighbor who was kissing him on his front porch. He was very much enjoying the kiss. Until he was yanked literally from his slumber. A rough hand , a rough black leather gloved hand , grabbed him out of his bed.

" What the fuck ? , " he mumbled , still half asleep and groggy although his mind was becoming alert enough to warn him to start fighting back. Somehow. To scream. Damn. He didn't have his cane. His cane....... He screamed and screamed so loud that it must have awakened the dead from the local church graveyard. But whoever had him was far too strong for his feeble attempts at fighting back.

" Shut up , Mr. Love , " he heard the raspy voice of the masked intruder whisper , " time to take a fall. "

He didn't know what that meant but it didn't sound good. Not at all. Nor did this person being in his home. His always safe home that was his haven from the world that hated him just like the bookshop was. And he knew his name.......

The masked man dragged him screaming and trying to fight to the very top of his long winding staircase just as there was a loud and rather insistent banging on his front door. There was also a pounding in his head. His chest was beating too rapidly. Fuck. Oh God no. Not a panic attack. Please God no. Not now. He was about to have the mother of all panic attacks. He kept screaming. The banging at his front door continued on. And the masked intruder threw him down the stairs.

As his body rolled steadily and painfully down each step he kept screaming and he vaguely saw the attacker run past him and towards the back of his house. He also saw Daniel St. Austin opening his door with what looked like a credit card in his hand. That was the last thing he saw before he faded into a complete and welcoming darkness.