Chapter Thirty Six

Henry was usually always late. Ben often joked that he would be late for his own funeral. When it came to his best friend and the most important person in his life Henry tried to be on time. Which was why he was pissed when he got distracted at his antique shop by a pesky old man in ill fitting trousers and a bad toupee who was haggling over a ratty old teddy bear that was worthless really. It was hardly his most valuable piece for sale. Henry was not even sure why it was in his shop at all. Finally after a few minutes of haggling and watching the clock he tossed him the damn bear and said , " It's yours. For free. Good day to you , sir ! " Then he hustled the old man out of the store , flipped the sign to CLOSED and hurried to his Harley Davidson motorcycle When he got to the bookstore Pam told him Ben had already left for home and to meet the student. Damn it. Henry broke several traffic laws speeding to Ben's house. He was not a praying man but he prayed the whole way. He could not lose Ben Love. Ben was really all he had in his life.  It was probably nothing but he had the strangest feeling his friend was in trouble. Then he realized that it had been hot in his store so he had removed his suit jacket. He had not wanted to be wearing his gun at the store and scaring customers so he had left it in his desk drawer in his office. Where it still was. Shit. No time to go back. 

He slid to a sudden stop before Ben's house behind a beat up pick up truck with Georgia plates. He raced up to the front door and used his key to get inside. 

" Ben ! Sorry , I'm late , Buttercream ! "

" That's alright , pudding pop. We were hoping you wouldn't turn up but I see a change of plans is in all our futures , " he heard an unfamiliar voice call out from the living room. He also heard a panicked Ben scream out , " Henry , RUN ! " 

At the sound of Ben's panicked voice Henry's heart began to beat rapidly inside his chest. He did not run. He swiftly moved with cat like grace towards the living room where he stopped in shock in the doorway. He was horrified to see a tall broadly built young man who stood behind a pale faced Ben who was kneeling on the floor without his cane. He looked like he was in pain. His left eye was starting to blacken and his bottom lip was bloody and puffy. Did this motherfucker beat him ? , Henry thought with outrage. Shit. Why had he forgot his damn gun ! Especially since the man had his own weapon. A solid black 45 pointed at the back of Ben's head. 

Oh , God , Henry thought. Dear God. 

" Have a seat next to buttercream here , pudding pop. I was planning on a suicide of this lonely pitiful disabled scarred freak here but I figure we'll just make it a murder - suicide. It'll work. I heard some rumors at the local diner when I stopped for coffee about Scar Face here fucking his new neighbor. They also talked about his devoted best friend. You know the one that got jealous and killed him and then himself. " The man laughed shrilly. " Sit down. Beside your friend. Before he dies , before you die , I want him to know why. "

Henry swallowed hard , swallowed down all his hatred and rage towards this man , and strode as confidently as possible to sit beside his friend on the floor. He reached out for Ben's hand and squeezed it once. 

Ben closed his eyes and whispered , " I'm so sorry , Hen. Forgive me. "

" You have no reason to be sorry , Ben. I love you. "

Ben squeezed his hand back. " I love you too. I love Daniel. "

" How touching , " Cole Pace smirked. " Ready to know why you are going to die ? " 

                                            --------------------------

                               ( Texts )

Daniel : Henry , are you at Ben's yet ?

Daniel : Henry ?

Daniel : Ben ? You ok ? 

                                     --------------------------------------

Serpent : Stone , your boy here hit the jackpot. The Pace boy changed his name a few years ago legally to Cole Pace. From Chad Patton. And guess what ? There's a connection to your Ben Love. Well the Love family anyway. Apparently his whole family was killed in that car crash that also disabled Ben Love. The accident caused by Ben's father Peter Love. 

                                       -------------------------------------------

Daniel : If Cole is there with you please be careful , Ben. I'm coming over with Sheriff Barnes.  I know it's still early but I love you. Don't do anything dumb and die on me. I love you. I'll be there soon.