Chapter Nine

Ben bristled visibly. Daniel bet it was the " being who you are" comment. He felt sorry for the man. He was after all a grown man and seemed to be intelligent. There was no grounds for people to treat him like a child. Except for his disabilities. Truthfully Daniel barely even noticed them. Especially when Ben looked at him with those pensive grey eyes of his.

" It was locked, Sheriff," Daniel snapped tersely. " I opened it. And no I don't have a key. "

" You broke in this house, Mister Big Shot City Boy  Editor? "

" He was screaming. He sounded like he was being killed. What else should I have done? Gone home and read my own newspaper? "

Barnes guffawed loudly. His bleary blue eyes went from one man to the other carefully for a few moments before he turned to the medics. " Carolyn, Chuck , he up to questions? Or should I hold off till the ER docs do their part? "

Ben shook his head. " I'm not going to the hospital. I'm fine. Ask your questions. "

Carolyn smirked," Where did you get your medical training, Ben ? Oh wait. Nowhere! He needs to go in for a cat scan and maybe a MRI. BP is fairly normal considering. Pupils reflective and normal. He said his head hurts so maybe a mild concussion. "

Daniel saw the fury growing within Ben and he knelt before the man. Leaning over him , he whispered," Go get checked out. Please. If you do I really will buy you dinner tonight. Italian. "

He was pretty sure the man was more stubborn than even his own cousin Zach. And that was saying something. He half expected Ben to refuse but the young man surprised him by saying," Ok. People, I will go to the hospital. Please shut up about it already. Daniel? Can you get me my cane , please? It's in my .... my bedroom. Against the wall by my ...... bed. "

The next image that popped into Daniel's head was of this man's bed and him in it. Him in his bed while screaming his name. Shit. He had just met this guy. After Eric he had sworn off relationships. Especially with men like Ben Love who seemed destined to break him with his vulnerability and stubbornness. Like Eric had. " I'll get it. You get all cozy like on a stretcher or something. I'll be following the ambulance to the hospital, doll. "

Carolyn laughed huskily. " Doll? How cute. You all do make an adorable couple. "

Barnes snorted," Don't be dumb , Carolyn. Ben don't do that stuff. You know that. "

Ignoring them all, Ben murmured," Could you grab me some clothes too ? I'm not wearing Snoopy to the hospital. And back. "

Daniel could not resist. He winked one of his dark eyes at him, saying," Why not? Snoopy suits you. Snoopy is the new sexy. "