Chapter Forty

December

Ben lifted an eyebrow at his  boyfriend who was seated beside him on the sofa. Ben was reading a first edition copy of the Hound of the Baskervilles with his spotless white gloves on so not to damage the precious pages. Daniel was typing exceedingly fast on his laptop. He was working on a new DJ Bailey book. They were listening to a jazzy Christmas CD playing on the stereo. A bottle of white wine sat on the coffee table half empty next to a plate of homemade snickerdoodle cookies. Matilda was in the corner by the lit fireplace trying to ignore his  new Golden Retriever puppy Rosie ( an early Christmas gift from Henry).

" Did you say that your godmother was selling the house? ," he asked. Suddenly there was a tight knot in his belly. If Daniel's house was being sold what did that mean? Where would he stay? Ben was tempted to ask him to move in with him but he was too scared to take that leap. What if he said no ? Maybe this would be the opportunity Daniel needed to leave town and return to Chicago. Maybe he was bored already. With Love. With him .......

Don't be ridiculous, he told himself. Daniel seemed happy in Love. The newspaper was flourishing under his leadership especially since he had added an online option and expanded the staff. He had also talked Ben into writing a daily column on books for the Arts and Culture section. The town was starting to accept Daniel including Henry who only occasionally showed a slight jealousy around them. Ben was falling for him every day and Daniel seemed to be returning the feeling.

" Yep. She seems to have fallen in love with Florida. "

" So..... Where will you stay once she sells? You..... You are planning to stay in town right? "

Daniel stopped typing and looked at him. He looked at him for such a long time it was starting to unnerve Ben.

" Of course I am. I'm invested here now. This is my home. "

" Right. With the paper. I know. "

" Yes. The paper. And a certain insecure but beautiful ghost whispering man who is damn lucky he's sexy as hell. "

Ben smiled and leaned closer to him until their faces were practically touching. " Well. I just meant. I mean. That. If you need a place to stay. You could stay here. With me. "

Daniel abruptly put his laptop on the coffee table and pulled his precious man on his lap , book and all. " You want me to live with you? "

Ben swallowed hard. " Well it's practical. You're here every day anyway. "

" Yes. I am. "

" And Matilda loves you. So does Rosie. They love you more than me most days. "

" And I love them too. Even though Rosie ate one of my socks and Matilda coughed up a furball in my coffee cup. "

Ben laughed," She has a sensitive tummy. Matilda does. So do I. I love you too. "

Daniel kissed the tip of his nose. He smiled at the man he held. " Good. Because I adore you. I love you, Benjamin Baldwin Love. Yes I will move in with you and your pets. "

Ben felt like he would overflow with happiness and just explode as they kissed tenderly. Until a thought suddenly hit him. He pulled back slightly. Daniel wrinkled his nose at Ben in amused puzzlement. Daniel asked," What's up , doll ? "

" I just thought of something. Who is going to tell Henry? You? Or me ? "

Daniel laughed out loud. " Not me , Buttercream. He's your bestie. "

Ben rolled his eyes.

" I love you , Benjamin Baldwin Love. I'll go a step forward. Marry me. "

Ben smiled widely. " I love you, Daniel St. Austin. Yes. I'll marry you. And we'll tell Henry together. "

               -------------

And Benjamin Baldwin Love and Daniel St. Austin lived happily ever after.