Chapter Nineteen

Ben was not really fond of driving but his car helped him stay independent so he loved it. It was not the flashiest car in the world but he was not the flashiest man in the world so it fit him. It was sturdy, reliable and didn't call attention to itself. He didn't have many miles on it either since he mainly only used it for trips in town or occasional side trips to Atlanta. If it looked like something his grandfather would drive he was fine with that. It served his purpose in life.

Which currently was to drive to the grocery store to buy food to hopefully make a certain man smile. The trip started out pretty uneventful. Weather was nice enough that he had the windows down to let in a soft fragrant breeze. A Billie Holiday cd was playing and he was singing along in his usual off key way. For the first time in a long time he actually felt happy. He was happy that he met Daniel. Sure he knew that Daniel would end up bored with the town , with ...... everything but ...... That he would leave. He could see the end coming one day but he was still happy now. He was determined to enjoy whatever the hell this was while it lasted.

He was still singing along with Billie as his good foot stepped on the brake for the red light ahead.

Nothing happened.

He stopped singing and hit the brake again. Nothing. He frowned and his heart clenched sharply in his chest. Shit.

That was his thought as his car sped through the light, hit the side of another car he didn't recognize and kept going until it swerved onto the sidewalk nearby to crash into a big oak tree.

Shit, he thought again as he collapsed over his steering wheel.

Then everything faded to black.