Chapter 53: Incoherent

Clara saw herself through Connor's eyes as he walked into the small café. His first impression of her sprang up in her mind: confident and controlled. This was a version of herself that felt unfamiliar. She felt herself move as the memory of Connor moved, walking to the table where she waited.

"Dr. Hayes?" Clara felt Connor's words drop from her mouth, and the memory of her nodded. "My name is Connor. I'm the android sent by Cyberlife."

Memory-Clara looked at her, eyes cold. "Well, Connor. You're late. I'd hoped an android would at least have a sense of timeliness."

"I apologize. I was delayed by the construction." Memory-Connor's tone was even.

"Very well." Memory-Clara gestured for her to join her at the table. "Please, have a seat so you can tell me what this is all about."

"This is the first time we met." Connor's voice sounded in her ear as the memory froze.

Clara jumped, then turned to see Connor standing beside her. They were outside the memory now, watching it play out soundlessly.

A smile pulled at his lips. "You weren't very friendly, but for good reason. I was the liaison between you and Cyberlife at first, so I was the one who negotiated the terms of your agreement, and the one who made sure you held up your end." He glanced at Clara, still smiling. "You handled yourself very well. I honestly didn't know what to make of you at first. You were so self-assured, so confident. It was...unexpected."

Clara could feel the truth of his words in his memories. She experienced the depth and breadth of his emotions during this time as if they were her own. She knew how he thought, what his motives were, and all the things he'd kept hidden from the memory-Clara.

"It's strange," Connor continued. "Looking back now, I know I was feeling emotions, even at this point. I just didn't realize it yet. Like here, you confused me, and I didn't know how to handle you."

The scene changed, and they were standing in a large kitchen. Her kitchen, Clara realized. She knew it. It was so familiar.

In the kitchen, memory-Clara stared Connor down, holding steaming cup in her hand Clara felt a wave of frustration roll over her, Connor's frustration.

"Dr. Hayes, I must insist that we leave as soon as possible. The board is waiting, and it would be rude to keep them." Clara saw the scene through Connor's eyes again, speaking with his voice.

Memory-Clara just stared her down, fidgeting with the cup. "Thank you, Connor. I'll take that into consideration."

The frustration bubbled up again, and Connor surged forward, taking the cup from memory-Clara to pour it down the sink, with a small flicker of satisfaction. "I must insist we leave." He set the cup aside with a thump.

"I don't know why I ever thought that would work." Connor spoke again.