Chapter 2: Conflict in the Kitchen

Light broke through the curtains over Clara's window, gently stirring her. She rubbed her eyes and slowly sat up. She looked over at her clock, which showed 8:14am. She heard a light knock at her door.

"Dr. Hayes?" a quiet voice called. "Are you awake?"

"Yes, Connor. I'm awake. I'll be out in a minute." Clara reflected on the events from yesterday, recalling the deal she'd made with Cyberlife and the android they had sent. Her contract started immediately, so she only had a few hours to get her things together to head over to the Tower. 

"Remember, the board would like you to be there by 10am for your orientation and tour." She heard the android's shoes tapping softly as he walked away.

Groaning softly, she climbed out of bed and pulled on her bathrobe. She shuffled to the door, pulling it open slowly. There was no sign of Connor in the hallway. Good. She closed the door, returning to her bedroom, then walked to her bathroom to shower.

*****

The Zen garden showed a melting winter scene, and Connor heard the quiet sounds of water dripping from the icy trees. He saw Amanda waiting for him on the island and made his way toward her. 

"Connor," she said, smiling. "I'm glad to see your mission is underway. What progress have you made?"

Connor grimaced. "The doctor is difficult to understand and even harder to refuse, but I was impressed by the way she handled the negotiation with Cyberlife. She agreed to work with us, but some of her conditions seemed odd. She doesn't trust me, and she seems to be highly suspicious of others by nature. I'm not sure how to approach her." He looked down at the ground, frowning. "She's so different from Lieutenant Anderson."

"That's to be expected, Connor." Amanda looked at him smiling. "She's very intelligent, and she knows Cyberlife has ulterior motives in approaching her. Her reaction was anticipated." The pair continued walking. 

"But Connor?" She stopped and turned toward him.

"Yes?" the android asked, facing her, meeting her eyes.

"You need to gain her trust. That will be essential for completing your mission. Do whatever it takes." She held his gaze for a few moments before turning and walking away. 

"Yes, Amanda," Connor whispered, watching her figure dissolve into pixels. He stayed in the garden a little while longer, enjoying the serenity of the melting landscape.

*****

Dr. Hayes' house, better classified as a mansion, was part a large estate on the outskirts of the city. The estate contained approximately 35 acres of wooded land and another 10 of cleared. Why she needed so much land, Connor could only guess. He wandered the areas of the house he was allowed access to. She had a spacious kitchen that she kept clean and organized, and her living room was cozy with dark walls and soft red couches. She had a hearth with a simulated fire crackling within. While it didn't provide heat, it lent itself well to the quiet ambience of the room. A large dining room with a banquet table lay across the hall, connected to the kitchen. He could not fathom why she had such a large table, however. She appeared to live alone, or at least hers were the only fingerprints on any of the furniture. It was a large, quiet house. Much too large for a single person to maintain. 

While Dr. Hayes slept, Connor spent the night thoroughly investigating the rooms he was allowed in, which included the living room, kitchen, dining room, guest bathroom, and guest bedroom of the lower level. Aside from the sheer size of the place, he discovered nothing out of the ordinary.